Where to buy ready-made HO-Scale buildings?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hello there once again!

My final question for this evening best fits here as it has to do with HO-scale specifically. I found a few catalogs, which featured buildings which could either be bought ready-made or they required only a little assembly before being placed. I am no good at scratch-building and all the buildings I saw in the catalog were already painted and required no tools to assemble.

So here is my question...Where can I buy HO-scale buildings like this? Thanks in advance!
 
Suggest you go on line and look at Walthers website as well as MB Klein Hobbies (modeltrainstuff).
While there are several choices for "built up" structures, Woodland Scenics makes some of the higher detailed built up structures (Woodland Scenics products can be found at both websites). Walthers own line of structures includes some "built up' models in the Trainline series. Walthers also makes some pretty nice looking structures that need no painting that snap together in the "snap together structure kit' series.
You can find the best selection with Walthers usually, but you can frequently find better prices if they are in stock at the modeltrainstuff website.
https://www.walthers.com/
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/
 
Hi, Jim! Cheers and many thanks for the VERY helpful response! This'll surely help me in saving time and effort in building my layout I mentioned a few months back. The jury's out on how much money I'll be spending, but I don't care-Model railroading is my newly re-discovered hobby!
 


When you search catalogs and see "easy assembly" or "few parts to assemble", just be aware that the description can sometimes mean that windows and doors are molded into the walls, and painting may be required. Be sure to read descriptions of kits carefully. There are also many easily assembled kits that require glue but that don't require painting.
 
Woodland scenic has some buildings, fleebay as well. If you want to pay $$$ there out there, fsm etc already built up.
 
There are many manufactures that make "built up" or "ready made" structures. I use Woodlands Built Ups but they are a on the more expensive side I think.
 
As others have already mentioned, several companies will sell you 'ready-made' or 'easy to assemble' products - and, IMO, at a hefty price. All of the pre-built models that I have accumulated have come from TRAIN SHOWS :-) Find out if there are any shows in your area and go look at things that others have already built. Lots of variety and, usually, much lower costs.
 
I agree with GDSmith. I have seen very expensive kits built up at train shows for very little cash. Some of these models can take hundreds of hours to build and are selling for less than $50. Especially if you can find someone selling off an estate. Ron
 
Depending what you there are model makers who will build you very nice sometimes one of a kind buildings,they can be pricey but well worth it.Take a look at RAIL DREAMS,Dick does some very nice work.
 


Expensive by about how much?

Woodland scenic has some buildings, fleebay as well. If you want to pay $$$ there out there, fsm etc already built up.

There are many manufactures that make "built up" or "ready made" structures. I use Woodlands Built Ups but they are a on the more expensive side I think.

As others have already mentioned, several companies will sell you 'ready-made' or 'easy to assemble' products - and, IMO, at a hefty price. All of the pre-built models that I have accumulated have come from TRAIN SHOWS :-) Find out if there are any shows in your area and go look at things that others have already built. Lots of variety and, usually, much lower costs.

Hello all!

Thanks for all your helpful answers. How much money do these 'ready-built' or 'easy assembly' kits normally run for? Also, if there are any hobby shops in my area (I can check and see although I have not noticed any) I will be checking those first. Otherwise, I might see if there are any model train shows...Thanks!
 
Woodland Scenic Built Ups cost between $70 and $90 retail give or take. M.B. Klein has the best price for them running around $65. They aren't cheap by any means BUT are great, very well detailed structures. This is one of mine:

IMG_0862_zps5dc4aa82.jpg
 
Woodland Scenic Built Ups cost between $70 and $90 retail give or take. M.B. Klein has the best price for them running around $65. They aren't cheap by any means BUT are great, very well detailed structures. This is one of mine:

IMG_0862_zps5dc4aa82.jpg

Thanks! I'll give your suggestion a try first, meaning I'll go on the site and see what's for sale before buying anything.

Right now M.B. Klein (modeltrainstuff.com) is offering 5% off Walthers buildings with coupon code 5BUILD (Ends 12-11)
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Walt...ail&utm_term=0_fab01ea610-f1f9f5ae0f-10721369

Thanks to you as well! I will compare Walthers buildings with Woodland Scenics Built Ups and see which of those are best for me. If both have something I need, I'll be buying from two companies.
 
If you have time there are tons of built ups on ebay. Look at photos carefully and expect to do some repair work. The woodland scenics are really nice but scale on the small size when compared to something you may scratch build.
 
I picked up a very well built and painted small craftsman station over the weekend at a train show. Price was a whopping $8. It just needs signs (from my printer), a floor and some little people. Most commonly I see completed structures (usually of the plastic variety) running from $10-$30. Good luck!

Gary
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top