where do you work?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have blown glass for forty years with a stint running the fire dept as a paid chief for Santa Fe County. The art market is kind of hard these days and I have been designing and building molybdenum Disilicide electric furnaces for melting glass at up to 600 lb volumes. I also hire out as a glass chemist.
 
I'm physical therapist working with kids from 3 months to about 10 years old. I work 4 days a week out of the hospital and once a week to a clinic in a neighboring city. I speak at 10 to 15 conferences a year. I get to make full size models and make orthotics and prosthetics to fit.
 


Im 16 and my seasonal job is currently over for the time being. However, over the summer i work for a restuarant doing outside maintaince and upkeep, as well as doing some part time dive work in a local lake. I enjoy the dive work the best. Most of my job involved removing invasive species of pond weeds, certainly kept me busy! Towards the end of the summer my job mostly involved maintaning and fixing the mats that were put down in the water to try and keep the weeds away. Part of that was removing and covering spots where the weeds got through. There was times before the mats where i would have to use a special rake and work from a boat just to clear enough of the weeds so that i wouldnt get tangled in them underwater ! :eek:

Certainly got a nice tan from that job. Working from the boat was really messy, itd take me an hour or two just to clean it out afterwards. There were several times where the weeds would be thick enough that i could pull the 20ft boat through the water trying to rake them away. Those were the days i didnt dare get in the water, for fear of getting entangled.

I used to find so much fishing tackle in those weeds. The lake has a decent percentage of $500-600k homes, but also has many homes that are much cheaper. I used to find lots of bobbers with hooks that once held a worm in front of the cheaper homes on the lake, but it was nothing to find $5-10 rapalas in front of the more expensive homes, sometimes several of them :D I always thought about returning them, but didnt want to just leave them on the dock for some small kid to step on the almost always rusty hook.

So theres my career so far. I really enjoy my summer jobs, now if i could just save the money i made from them !
 
Well, the environmental engineer thing didn't work out so I did odd jobs for a couple years, did another movie called ParaNorman (will be out Aug 17, 2012, look for me in the credits) got laid off again and last week started on a new film probably out in 2014.
 
I'm disabled due to a severe accident a few years back.
I do some work as a designer more or less on a hobby basis, and also some model building work.
I also do some special FX/props for the movies.
 
I administer $40 million in regional water quality grants. Basically logging and ranch road decom's and repairs for sediment reduction in streams and rivers. Also a few rural community drinking and waste water facility repairs, upgrades, and new system installations to limit ground water pollutions and systems that waste water. It's a lot of fun. Office work and alot of field work too. I also am a volunteer fire fighter, father to a 1 year old, husband, new home owner, Hunter, off roared, and thouroughly commited to making my little section of the world a better place.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top