So I'm reading the forums and I'm seeing some of you have huge collections and an aversion to paying retail for stuff. ...
So realizing, I'm not going to build up a big collection overnight, the question that comes to mind is where do you find your "stuff?" Locos, rolling stock, kits, etc. ...
So where do you guys find your bargains???
I am HO and G-gauge but the same concepts apply to all scales.
First get a subscription to MR or MRC and read the ads in depth every month. Learn the list price and normal street price for objects of interest and even others just FYI. That is how you will get to know the "normal" prices for things, so you can recognize a bargan when you see it and not have to "think about it". Many really good bargans were snached by another person while I was thinking. That is the most important thing for bargan hunters - knowing the prices.
1. Watch for flyers and other announcments for model train swap meets in your area. Swap meets are where people go who want to dump a bunch of stuff quickly. "My father died and this is all his stuff I want to get rid of". Many organizaitons have these on a regular scheduled basis. Here in Denver one club has one every other month, another club has one every 6 months. The local Youth in Model Railroading is having their annual surplus sale on June 2. They always have great deals.
2. Go to the big train shows like the "Great Train Expo". While they have many full price vendors that go around with them, they also have the locals and other one time people that once again have come into an estate or something and want to get rid of it. Even the regular vendors have sales from time to time. One of our local hobby stores that normally has things marked pretty close to the suggested list price, had items at the show for 75% off.
3. Search the internet for specific items you want. I ran into a hobby store owner along the south east coast who had a really good price on Proto-2000 stock cars and Branchline Box cars. I ask a couple questions about shipping when buying more than one. In the conversation I struck up, I discovered he had a problem and was having trouble meeting this months expenses. So we struck up a volume discount such that I got a really good deal and helped him make his utility bills. Once again I think I purchased about 100 cars from him.
4. Find all the major vendors on the internet and do two things. A. Subscribe to their mailing lists. B. Find the button for Clearance or Factory Refurbished items. Example BLI, I got my Hudson from them for $90. Example, Train World in NYC. I got an e-mail for clearance SDP45s with Tsunami sound. My local hobby store had these for $329 each. They were on clearance to internet subscribers only for $129 each. I got 2. Likewise they had the BLI California Zephry cars for $29 each. I was buying them like mad and selling them on eBay for up to $130 each (for the beaver tail dome observations). Last TW example, the NYC 20th Century cars originally sold for $59 or so each. I bought none. Trainworld cleared them out to internet subscribers for $29 each. I bought 2 full train sets (not one of each car, real train sets)
5. There are several sale sites on-line like the HO and N scale yard sales. I haven't quite figured them out yet but I see what looks like some really good deals there.
6. Get into operating groups in your area. There is always someone with surplus equipment someone is trying to get rid of. Just last month I picked up about ten Proto-2000 10,000gallon tank cars for $4 each. Another friend sold me some Athearn Genesis F3 AB sets (both powered) for $90.
7. Ebay and other sites. I got a ton of stuff from Go-Motor-Bids.com before they went belly up.
When I find a really good deal I usually buy extras. Then at the swap meets I sell them for a good deal (just not so good) and usually end up paying for the units that I kept for myself. Net cost of my stuff - $0.
I have heard some mention of Ebay, and some cursory searches indicate there is a lot of stuff on there, but I'm always concerned about the actual quality of things I buy on Ebay, plus I really have learned to hate Paypal, so Ebay isn't really a preferred place for me to buy things.
The SELLER pays Paypal, I love it. With Ebay one has to know exactly what the object is, read the description very well, and know what a "good deal" for that particular object is. With those things one can get some really good deals on eBay. I just got a NCE PRO wireless set for $300. That is less than 50% of the list price and about $200 off the normal shelf price.