I have to agree that before DCC ever becomes "standard" there'll be something else that comes along that will replace it. There are too many small problems with DCC and the proccess of fixing it will probably result in something different.
DC has been around since the beginning, so there are simply too many model trains out there for a wholesale switch......as an industry you can't suddenly make 80% of the existing equipment obsolete and expect the industry to survive. Most people cannot afford to "start over". I know if the industry stopped making DC locos tomarrow, I would stop buying locos tomarrow.....I have plenty of locos on hand, and if I couldn't run new ones on my existing track, I can still enjoy myself for years to come, but the industry wouldn't be making any money off me.
Maybe if the new norm was DCC with full sound, DCC controlled uncoupling, DCC control of switches (standard), ect. then I might be tempted, but at that point I'm sure the cost of all that technology would probably "un-tempt" me pretty quickly. And that's always been the catch-22 of new technology......by the time everyone can afford it, it's so outdated noone wants it and the cycle starts over. And sadly that means as we "improve" our hobby, we price it out of the reach of more and more people. I have nothing against DCC......it simply doesn't do anything that I NEED right now to enjoy model railroading. Maybe if I suddenly have a huge area to start a new layout in a new scale, I'll go to DCC.....but I doubt that happens, and I don't mind skipping the DCC era and sticking with what I have till the NEXT "best thing to happen to model railroading" comes along.