whats your main industry

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I too expect a steel mill to be my main industry. The Minnequa CF&I plant in Pueblo Colorado specifically. I also have no illusions of doing anything in true scale as it would consume my entire layout space 90x60, but reduce each function to a track or two. I believe the real CF&I had 4 blast furnace towers so if I could get one in and just have a background with the others in the back ground would work. As a child I remember watching the carts of ore going up the "ramp" on the side and dumping the ore in. I want to animate that on my layout.

From the Bessemer Historical Society archives:
phoca_thumb_l_pos-0009a.jpg

What was there versus what is still there depends on the era you are modelling. CF&I still has electric arc furnaces for re-melting scrap. I believe it is now owned by a RUSSIAN outfit! :( You can check with Wikipedia for history. Because of the presence of asbestos in many of the older buildings, they have not been torn down.
 
None, I model a current railroad. Okay a team track for unloading containers is my number one industry. I have one in every town like most shortlines do. My number two industry is interchange.


Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 


At the moment I just have a coal mine and port. Im Planning a larger layout with a small steelmill a cement works and a gasworks to provide more destinations for the coal. as well as a log yard, lumbermill, meat processer, cannery and dairy factory. Will be modeling New Zealand sceanery and eventually NZR trains
 
Coal. Coal. Coal.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
Black diamonds are king. Two coal mines, one barge loading facility, and 200 hoppers. There is a team teack at the station for the occasional box or flatcar.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top