ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
My SO has asked me how much my N scale layout might cost. My initial response was: "Duh?" She asked me to be more specific.
I can use some help! My objective is to keep it small enough to fit on a 4' x 5' table. I'm thinking about modifying this layout
http://www.katousa.com/cgi-bin/dl/dl.pl?dl.mif,N-plan-Tri-R.pdf
Estimating the cost of the trains, track, and bridges is not that hard, but I have no idea what it will cost for electrics - power supply ( I have the M1 kit) and other electrical stuff for wiring; scenery, and all the "other stuff" that I will "Need" to finish a layout.
What did you need that you hadn't expected to buy?
How much did you go over your budget if you had one, and why?
What tools did you buy and the cost?
Any ball park guesses from your experience would be helpful.
Me and my SO thank you.

That's a really tough question. I've heard (for HO scale) that layouts cost about $100 per square foot. That seems a little steep to me. The better question is how much to you have to (want to) spend?
Bench work = New prime lumber vs recycled wooden pallets
Extruded foam = New 4'x8'x2" sheets vs pieces and parts left over at construction sites
Trains = New from a catalog or website vs used from a local hobby store or e-bay
Electronics = DC vs DCC, powered turnouts vs manual
Scenery = City/Town with lots of buildings vs rural farm or logging
My guess, if you went down the economy path, you could probably have a 4x5 layout for $300-$400 including a couple of DC locomotives with several freight cars. The sky's the limit on the other end of the spectrum.
Doug
Well my response would be to explain how much it will save! You won't be out drinking and she'll always know were to find you. It's cheaper than playing golf. You don't have to dump a ton of money in it to start. You can add and upgrade as budget permits and you'll be a happy contented husband.
Let me know if this works, there's no way my wife is buying it.
^lol I'm in the same boat....
What you need to do is figure the initial cost that would only include the benchwork, track, power (DC or DCC), loco's, and rolling stock. Scenery, buildings, accessories, are all add-on's that would depend on how detailed/realistic you want it to be. Everyone's layout is too different to give a "square foot" estimate and all depends on those factors. I have some areas that would be beyond $100/foot and others that would be much less. Just go to Walthers web site and get the prices.

$100/sf is about where I'll be when it's all said and done, but that includes buying everything related to every phase of the hobby since I'm new to it.. benchwork, specialty tools, paints, landscape supplies, trains, track, wiring, etc.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)