what to look for?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


In my opinion, I would tend to stay away from older Bachmann, Tyco and most AHM stuff (Lima and Rivarossi, though some may be OK). Also, brass track may work but keeping it clean (corrosion) can be a headache. Nickle silver is much better. I never had much to do with HO so I may be leading you astray but I don't think so..........at least not too far.

The best thing you can do before going out and buying stuff is to do a lot of research. Find out what brands are known for quality and vice versa. Decide what it is that you want to do and make a plan. This may not be as exciting as getting items now but you can save yourself a LOT of money in the long run if you become an informed buyer with a plan first.
 
I'm going to disagree with Bob a little bit.

This may be a chance to get several boxcars to use for kit bashing into shops, storage buildings or offices. I have gotten several lots of great materials that I would not purchased on my own.
Old Tyco and AHM freight cars are great practice cars for painting and weathering.
Just a thought.
 


True, but if you don't do your research to become an informed buyer (what's good, what's bad) you won't know wheather it's treasure or trash.:eek:
 
I would if your going to at least see whats in the box, and test what you can...Riverrossi engines are basicially the "poor mans brass" models, high detail and low cost...and most were built pretty good, it depends tho on when it was made, some engines IIRC had some motor issues...but for the most part you could at least use any rolling stock to help get your layout started at least...even practice painting and weathering...
 
You need to spend some time talking to experienced model railroaders and hobby shop time to understand the range of quality. From MY PERSONAL experience I would rate Tyco and Bachmann low, then Athearn, Model Power, then Atlas, Stewart, Intermountain. Brass is hard to rate, you can have great detail, but lousy mechanicals.
For track, steel is the lowest, it rusts and corrodes, next is brass, just about as bad, and the best being nickel silver. Please remember, this is MY PERSONAL opinion and experience. I do have a Tyco car and a Bachmann engine, they are some of my earliest acquisitions and do not run well (at all, really). Most of what I have is Athearn cars and Atlas/Intermountain engines.

Knowing what different brands will cost will help you decide if used equipment is a good deal.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top