What Other Hobbies do you have?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Chris,
It sounds like it's time for a call to the mayor and chief of police. If you can get a petition signed by a bunch of your neighbors requesting extra patrol or speed enforcement, that carries a lot of weight.

As I have always told people, the police don't prevent crime, they investigate crime. We will never be anywhere in time to stop a violent crime, as all the mass shootings lately have shown. Every citizen should learn to protect himself. You're in a state which makes it reasonably easy to get a concealed weapons permit. If you have no training with handguns, get some, especially if if it includes combat course training. Then get a good concealed carry gun. I use a Kel-Tec 9mm because it's small, easy to conceal, and packs a good punch. The other weapon I always recommend for home defense is a Remington 870 shotgun. This is a short barreled pump shotgun commonly referred to as a "riot gun". They are relatively light, easy to handle in tight quarters and one round of 00 buck will usually put a stop to just about anything that can get in your house, including alligators. :) The good thing is that every thug knows the sound of an 870 being racked and will usually leave before any shooting ensues.
 
Chris,
It sounds like it's time for a call to the mayor and chief of police. If you can get a petition signed by a bunch of your neighbors requesting extra patrol or speed enforcement, that carries a lot of weight.

As I have always told people, the police don't prevent crime, they investigate crime. We will never be anywhere in time to stop a violent crime, as all the mass shootings lately have shown. Every citizen should learn to protect himself. You're in a state which makes it reasonably easy to get a concealed weapons permit. If you have no training with handguns, get some, especially if if it includes combat course training. Then get a good concealed carry gun. I use a Kel-Tec 9mm because it's small, easy to conceal, and packs a good punch. The other weapon I always recommend for home defense is a Remington 870 shotgun. This is a short barreled pump shotgun commonly referred to as a "riot gun". They are relatively light, easy to handle in tight quarters and one round of 00 buck will usually put a stop to just about anything that can get in your house, including alligators. :) The good thing is that every thug knows the sound of an 870 being racked and will usually leave before any shooting ensues.

As always Jim there is Iron in your words!:) In this crazy world one really need to consider home defence...........Our crapy govenor has done one thing right, our gun laws! We ain't got to wait till some one is in the house before we shoot! Bast um on the front yard if they pose a clear and present danger your allowed to take them out!LOL's and I can bring a gun to work, it just has to stay in the truck! But your best advise is the petition! that would work the best, the extra patrols would be the best defence. This country needs to get back to the way it was in the 50's/60's. My dad always told me those were the good days.....;) ;) Thank'x Jim!
 
Chris,
Having grown up in the 50's and been a cop during the late 60's, I'm not sure I'd like to go back that era. We had to wear helmets all the time because kids thought it was fun dropping cement blocks on us from four and five story buildings. Then they discovered AK-47's. We wore so much body armor you'd be practically dead from dehydration in the LA heat when your shift was over. That doesn't count all the exciting college riots and racial unrest. There were some things that were better then but, on average, I'll take what we have now.

I'd be very careful about that "No Retreat" law. First, it's really not easy to pull that trigger and kill someone. Second, you may have to spend a lot of your own money on attorneys to convince a jury that you had a "clear apprehension of serious physical injury or death" if they decide to arrest you. And please don't leave your weapon in your truck. If your workplace doesn't allow you to carry (which I think is stupid), leave it home. About half the stolen guns on the streets came from breaking into vehicles. It's usually not hard to spot the type of vehicle that might be owned by a gun owner and your gun will be gone in 60 seconds.

Getting up a petition and raising a hornet's nest with the mayor and chief of police really is the best way to reduce crime in your neighborhood. I can remember sitting through many a briefing where we were given clear instructions about hitting a neighborhood hard so we'd get the citizen's off the backs of the higher-ups. Political pressure works better than anything else in getting some results.
 


Two million people in prison . We have more people in prison then some countries have in population . Could you please tell me how to stop the insanity ? I grew up in the 50/60's and there was less violent crimes then there is today !!
 
Paul,
The problem is we don't have enough people in prison. The population of the United States is about 285 million. At a bare minimum, 1% of our population are career criminals or people so insane that they commit crimes because of their insanity. That's about 3 million people. If you get them off the steets, the crime rate and violence will plummet. In California, we built 21 new prisons between 1985 and 2005. We passed laws that mandated sentences for violent crimes and took away judge's discretion to let people out on parole when they were repeat offenders. Our crime rate dropped steadily as we filled the prisons with these thugs. 80% of the crime is commited by 20% of the criminals. If you can lock up that 20%, we'll all be safer. I have no idea how to fix the problems that are causing so many people to become criminals but I know getting them out of society works. Until we come up with another workable solution, putting more of these bad guys behind bars works.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Two million people in prison . We have more people in prison then some countries have in population . Could you please tell me how to stop the insanity ? I grew up in the 50/60's and there was less violent crimes then there is today !!

The word is "Prison= Hotel!" My dad served in WWII and told me how he had to spend three month's on this God for saken Island in the Atlantic sleeping in a tent with crapy rations and crapy weather waiting to go get killed! Yet our so called miss understood ciminal's get 3 hot's and a cot and get better benny's while in the clink than you and me! I have two brother-in-laws in corrections or should i say House keeping!LOL's watching these idiots! The prision time these thugs are in for needs to be harder so they won't come back! More Chain Gangs, Most crimanals are in jail cause they don't want to do a honest days work for their daily bread...... well make them do what they hate,"WORK." as I recall we need a fence put up on our southern boarder, that would be time well spent! Jail time is just to easy! Need to make it harderor .22 cal bullet to the back of the head like china does! JMO:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,
I don't want to get involved in too deep a political argument here but a bullet to the back of the head is not how we do things here. That's one of the reasons we're not China. I agree that prison time needs to be tougher than it is now but even more important is that we need to have enough prisons to stop releasing prisoners early for "good time" because we need the space. If your sentence is five years, you should serve five years. To put it in another perspective, how long would American parents put up with being told their child could only finish half of the twelfth grade because they ran out of space in the high school? Probably not for long, but that's exactly what we're doing with prisons.
 
Chris,
I don't want to get involved in too deep a political argument here but a bullet to the back of the head is not how we do things here. That's one of the reasons we're not China. I agree that prison time needs to be tougher than it is now but even more important is that we need to have enough prisons to stop releasing prisoners early for "good time" because we need the space. If your sentence is five years, you should serve five years. To put it in another perspective, how long would American parents put up with being told their child could only finish half of the twelfth grade because they ran out of space in the high school? Probably not for long, but that's exactly what we're doing with prisons.

Jim,
I agree the 22 to the back of head is rough for most crimes, but the only true stop to violent crime was Hard time or time spent with old Sparky/End of a rope. If you read some of those news clips on my other thread(some are down right funny:D and sad:( ).......something need to be done:confused: . Those violent crimes weren't commited by first time offenders! these people were problems way before they got to this point! I believe(JMO) Hard Time and Put to sleep(by what ever means that is cost effective and quick;) ) for violent crimes, specialy when it involves young children and the elderly.

Jim, every one has their own views on how to fix the system and we agree it needs to be FIXED! The housing cost of all these idiots can be better spent else where......JMO chris.
 
Whew! Heavy topic! How did we get here from "what are your other hobbies?" ;)

I do not know if it counts as a hobby, but I rescue hedgehogs. People think that they will make great pets and then realize how expensive their care is and decide to throw them away. They are such terrific little critters.

School has also become a bit of a hobby; one that I will be thrilled to see come to an end!!


Sandy
 
We could really help our economy by just spending less on prisoners and clearing out our death row inmates. Honestly, how long does it take to put someone to death, especially if its a clear-cut case and no legitimate appeals. When I hear reports as to how much us taxpayers put out to house and feed and teach these inmates it makes me sick.
 


Whew! Heavy topic! How did we get here from "what are your other hobbies?"
I agree, folks the topic is hobbies, so other than my CB&CNS layout, the only other one I have left is this
MahoneBay-1.png
it began life as a rental unit and now it's just about modified to the way we want it for our convenience. I might take up fishing when the above is completed.
I had an 84 Buick Skylark but the upkeep and maintenance just became too much for me. So it and the 85 Buick parts car went out on a wrecker this morning. Kind of a sad day, just the memories left.

The aquariums, pumps filters (everything except the fish and water) are still in the basement since 2005, probably should sell them.

Cheers Willis
 
Get the tanks set back up! I love my Saltwater Tanks, when there's nothing on the tube there's always my fish!
 
I don't know if I already added to ths thread other than OT stuff but my other hobbies are scuba diving and RV'ing in my 26' Safari Trek. Willis, that's a nice looking unit you have there. I'm looking forward to the girls getting out of the house one of these days so we can get on the road again instead of having the Trek just sitting in the dirveway. Still have my freshwater tank and I'm still fighting the algae battle. :(

Sandy, you are the only person I know that rescues hedgehogs. :D They are kind of cute though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I already added to ths thread other than OT stuff but my other hobbies are scuba diving and RV'ing in my 26' Safari Trek. Willis, that's a nice looking unit you have there. I'm looking forward to the girls getting out of the house one of these days so we can get on the road again instead of having the Trek just sitting in the dirveway. Still have my freshwater tank and I'm still fighting the algae battle. :(

Sandy, you are the only person I know that rescues hedgehogs. :D They are kind of cute though.
Jim,
9 watt UV Sterilizer http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4393+12711&pcatid=12711 that will do it! I can't afford to scuba but do snorkel evey time I get to the beach! fred howard park has some real nice spots! a while back before my son was born use to spear fish 300 yards of shore..........I gave it up cause the fish i like to catch and eat(Snook and Red Drum) are only to be caught by fishing pole!:mad:
 
Sheesh! I forgot about the SCUBA gear down there, those tanks are fully charged and haven't been inspected for decades guess I'd better look into that before one blows.
that's a nice looking unit you have there.
thanks Jim, I doubt I'll change much on the outside of it but on the inside I've added to the storage space, replaced a lot of the oak pattern vinyl panels with oak veneer plywood added drawers to the deep storage cupboards and shelves to others. New vinyl flooring and carpet so the inside bears little resemblance to what I brought home Nov 2005. Vanguard VXL 2000, 6.8 liter Long stroke V10 engine driving a set of 4.10 duals. It was supposed to sleep 5, but doesn't any more. :D
The Trek was the first type I looked at and actually discovered we didn't have remain at home for the rest of our lives. What model Trek do you have?
Get the tanks set back up!
Afraid not Chris, we are on the road visiting sometimes up to 2 months. Next year there's a 6000 mile trip planned if all goes well. That one could extend well over three months. I do miss the tanks but my wife doesn't :(

Cheers Willis
 
My other hobby is the Civil War . I read whatever I can get my hands on about it . Revolutionary War is a close second !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My other hobby is the Civil War .
Paul, you'd be surprised to know how many up in this neck of the woods have the same hobby. Seems some of the fore fathers from the Maritimes just couldn't stay out of a good fight. There's 4 that I know here in this town that buy every thing they can (they can afford it) related to the Civil War. Seems there were maritimers enlisted on both sides. I'm not sure if it was last year or the year before that the US army came up here to put appropriate markers on the graves, I guess it was quite a ceremony, made all the news papers.

Cheers Willis
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...As for alabama when through the southern half of the state other than the battleship i didn't see much of it:) next time through might take in more sights! as for prison time problem thats all over! but if your a boarder guard doing your job you get to surve the whole thing! Make the criminals boarder gaurds and when they go to jail they stay for a longer time!LOL's

Ah-ha!! Just caught these posts. Grrrr! JUST KIDDING!:D
Not sure how you manage to compare Alabama to Mississippi; they are very different.

Alabama is a beautiful state (Alabama, The Beautiful!) with much to see and do. If your trip passed through the very southern part then Mobile area is really the only area with plenty to do, much more than a visit to the battleship Alabama. However, there are many interesting and beautiful places to see and things to do throughout Alabama for all interests...even a guy from Florida :D . I guess all depends on what you call a good time and what you want to do.

About car plants: The Germans must like it and the work force or Mercedes wouldn't have built their only M class plant along with the C class and R class production just outside of Tuscaloosa. Oh, then there is Honda on the otherside of B'ham, and Hyundai near Montgomery. This, of course, doesn't include the dozens of auto manufacturers that have sub-assembly plants in the state. Almost got a big VW plant.;)

OnTopic: Camping and Freshwater Fishing:)

EDIT: OH!:eek: You mean the South didn't win?:confused:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Ah-ha!! Just caught these posts. Grrrr! JUST KIDDING!:D
Not sure how you manage to compare Alabama to Mississippi; they are very different.

Alabama is a beautiful state (Alabama, The Beautiful!) with much to see and do. If your trip passed through the very southern part then Mobile area is really the only area with plenty to do, much more than a visit to the battleship Alabama. However, there are many interesting and beautiful places to see and things to do throughout Alabama for all interests...even a guy from Florida :D . I guess all depends on what you call a good time and what you want to do.

About car plants: The Germans must like it and the work force or Mercedes wouldn't have built their only M class plant along with the C class and R class production just outside of Tuscaloosa. Oh, then there is Honda on the otherside of B'ham, and Hyundai near Montgomery. This, of course, doesn't include the dozens of auto manufacturers that have sub-assembly plants in the state. Almost got a big VW plant.;)

OnTopic: Camping and Freshwater Fishing:)

EDIT: OH!:eek: You mean the South didn't win?:confused:

LOL's;) It was a bad vacation I was on! But I stick to my guns when it comes to Yazoo Citiy, Miss! I was there for a week! I want that week of my life back! and yes, the South did lose! :D :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

On topic, I Like going to the beach too! I just don't like it when people keep trying to roll me back into the water screaming, "beached whale, save the beached whale!" :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top