What Joiner for Layout with Tight Curves & Would Like to use the Normal Connectors

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


bobnfrances

New Member
I have g-scale LGB layout & was wondering if you could recommend an over-rail joiner where I do NOT have to remove the normal connector ends that come with the track sections. Also, are there any advantages, or disadvantages, to split-jaw joiners as my layout has many tight curves? Is there any retailer or ebay seller that I might purchase them from.
Thanks
 
I have g-scale LGB layout & was wondering if you could recommend an over-rail joiner where I do NOT have to remove the normal connector ends that come with the track sections. Also, are there any advantages, or disadvantages, to split-jaw joiners as my layout has many tight curves?
The Aristocraft track has joiners with screws in (through) them, sort of like the real railroads. One could always do the same with LGB track by drilling and taping holes in the joiners/rails. But no, I do not know any that work in conjunction with the existing joiners.

Of course the advantage of the split-jaw is that they will always be tight. With tight curves the trains push harder on the outside rail putting more stress on the joiners. The disadvantages are that they are big and goofy looking and they are costly ($2 each joiner!). Plus if one has a temporary track set up, they must constantly be putting them on / off.

Can I presume you are having issues with the track separating because the joiners are loose? Or are you trying to solve some other problem. LGB track comes with little notches in the end ties for a connector bar to hold the track together. If you squeeze the joiners tight with pliers, connect the track, and then use these connector bars I would not think you should have issues with track separating or power transmission.

http://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/11500.html?gclid=CMau2duG49ACFQgFaQodqC4ACQ
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top