ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I am to N scale model railroading and already have some engines and cars but am in need of track and have looked around on eBay and see that there are many different companies and styles, from Power Loc, Bachmann, Atlas etc.
As a newbie, I would think the simplicity of the Power Loc or similar would be the way to go? Obviously I want to or need to keep it all the same brand and style...
What do you guys think? Suggestions? Other places to source such as a train show, flea market etc. I don't need a ton, and that is really the reason why I am getting started in N scale (had HO as a kid) since not as much room is required.
Also, where is a good source for layout schemes which would list the specific track pieces to complete desired layouts?
Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice.
Todd
Also, what is the deal with all of the difference track codes?
Also, what is the deal with all of the difference track codes?
"Code" refers to the height of the rail, in .001" increments. Code 55 is .055" high. The tradeoff is that what is 'realistic' may not be practical for your scale, so it's a tradeoff between what works and what is useful.
Atlas, Peco and Micro Engineering are probably the "big three" of track. There is also Kato, Bachmann and Atlas versions of sectional track that has the ballast molded with the track. Just snap it together and you're ready to run. This is also a more expensive way of getting track laid but some like it for the ease of use.
The "code" is the height of the rail measured in thousandths of an inch. Code 80 is .080" tall and code 55 is. 055" tall, etc. Code 55 is a little more realistic but equipment needs low profile wheels to operate without bouncing off the tops of the ties.
Some brands offer a bigger selection of different componets than others but anything from the main suppliers that is nickel silver should work.
There are several good web sites that offer good prices, selection and service. Here is a thread to read.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14459&highlight=online+hobby+shops
Thanks for the replies. I also wanted to state that I did the protocol search and number of different ways and posted only when I couldn't find any previous posts on the topic. Interesting that there are some many codes available pertaining to realism. No offense to die hard or accurate modelers here but I'm simply looking to have fun and not as concerned with true to scale dimensions etc.
I have noticed that some cars come with cheap black plastic wheels and others have the better, higher end aluminum wheels, but couldn't tell you which brands that is true with.
Is there a reference guide or a pictorial guide with regards to characteristics of certain brands? In other words how do new to the hobby people learn without trial and error which brands are better than others? Is Kato a decent brand of track and or cars? Should I avoid one over another? It seems like the joiners of the simpler tracks connect the rails and could potentially be a weak link where the snap fit tracks should always connect and conduct?
Best advice I could give ya Dune is to head on down to your local hobby shop and ask around at the help. They should be very knowledgeable with what ya need. Most modelers go with Peco Atlas or Kato track. Alot depends on the budget you have to go by also. My suggestion would be keep it simple buy enough sectional track to get ya running some trains and see how ya like it, start adding some buildings and trees figures and then let grow with your ideas. Won't be long you will want to add a switch to a new building or mine or mill etc. etc. But most of all have FUN !!! Hope I answered a bit of your question

. If you can start looking at some track plans online here or in books get a better idea of what ya like.
I agree with Burlington Bob when he says Atlas, Peco, Kato are the most popular brands.
I would say kato unitrack with built-in roadbed is a great product and a bit more expensive, but those who use it are convinced it's the best. And it can be set up and taken down more easily....so I hear....and it makes sense it would since that's the way it's designed work. I think it's code 80.
My other recommendation would be Atlas or Peco code 80 because it's more forgiving and tolerant of older equipment with larger wheel flanges. There is a large variety and selection of turnouts, crossings, curve radii, etc.. Code 80 is the legacy standard track from the early days of N scale. It's more often found available used......for usually not much money. That's how I got started in N scale.
Code 55 is sort of for those who put a high value on extra realistic appearance.....and I am able to see and appreciate the difference......but it's not important enough for me to switch.......some of my cars won't work on C55........and I now have accumulated a decent amount of atlas and peco code 80......which I'm very satisfied with.
Mike
Oops......yes micro engineering is also a popular track choice with advanced modelers.....though it seems fewer outlets carry it.
Mike
Thanks again for the replies. I stayed up and searched around other sites for hours last night reading until I couldn't see straight. Here's a site I stumbled upon, with layout ideas that I liked,
http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm.
After reviewing multiple layouts, I quickly ascertained that I'm a train watcher or a runner, and not a switcher or a yard guy. I think what I am looking for is the ability to have 2-3 or maybe even 4 trains running at the same time with some switches so I can turn them on and just run them and watch them.
I saved some gif images onto my desktop but can't seem to get them posted into this thread?
Micro Engineering track and DCC switches & a bunch of other train & hobby stuff.
Micro Mark Trains
Bill W.
kato. Worth the money for what you want. derailment free, and you can take apart and put together a million times. Trust me, I have.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)