What gauge wire to use...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I'm in school becoming an Electrical Engineer. The thought of using gauge 1 on a layout amused me enough that I posted it to see what people would say about it. Essentially, it falls under my weird sense of humor. Sorry if no one else appreciates it.

Hahaha! I was trying to picture that. You'd need a blow torch to solder to it.
 
Hi Rex,
........I also agree about the difference between stranded and solid wire. My point was to dispell any myths a difference exists between solid and stranded so far as digital noise or voltage drop in the systems we are dealing with. The primary difference in this application is mechanical, not electrical.

I think putting a number on things is always best..........


Tom
I agree Tom that putting the numbers down are always good to dispel myths created by the distortion of fact or derived from procedures that no longer apply to present technology. There are so many technical inaccuracies that are proclaimed as absolutes in this hobby, you could overflow a river. Many of these seem to originate from those that have chosen to distort theory to match their limited knowledge. The wise would simply stay at the practical "how" of the application and avoid theorizing the "why's".
BTW: I once knew an electrician that could explain electron theory and how electrical components worked in a way that was totally logical, even near believable ....but absolutely wrong. In fact, his theories were so well thought out, the end results of his work were correct. Go figure! ;):D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Tom that putting the numbers down are always good to dispel myths created by the distortion of fact or derived from procedures that no longer apply to present technology. There are so many technical inaccuracies that are proclaimed as absolutes in this hobby, you could overflow a river. Many of these seem to originate from those that have chosen to distort theory to match their limited knowledge. The wise would simply stay at the practical "how" of the application and avoid theorizing the "why's".
BTW: I once knew an electrician that could explain electron theory and how electrical components worked in a way that was totally logical, even near believable ....but absolutely wrong. In fact, his theories were so well thought out, the end results of his work were correct. Go figure! ;):D

That's true in anything, not just model railroading or electronics. Sometimes very popular beliefs are just wrong, but the results seem correct. My primary paying work is radio-frequency design work, where most things can't be seen or easily measured.

I'm having a great deal of fun with the circuitry in my layout. I've ordered PC boards for my simple turnout controller, and today I spent a few hours on an IR position detector system. I can do at least 4 feet of distance in my normal room daytime light, but I have better detectors and a better emitter on order. I think I can build a very reliable detector system that suits my needs.

Tom
 


Tom,
i looked through your post and i don't see where you shared the final plan for this IR solution. perhaps create a thread where you keep track of all your progress (and pictures), i will be interested in reading it.
regards.
 
I did my weekly table and room clean up, and I'll try to get pictures of progress as I wire and build. Mine will not be as spectacular as others are though, only mediocre detailing for right now. I want to get things running, and I can see I am eventually heading for DCC instead of what I started with. :-)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top