Went to my first model railroad show this morning

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


NIKO_SUAV3

Member
Cant remember who it was that I saw posting something recently about a show they went to and found it to be semi disappointing. Well had the opportunity to go to a local show today in Kansas City, The Mid America Train and Toy Show. Given the discussions I read here about eBay, I found this event to be a great opportunity to get some stuff I would otherwise be browsing eBay for.


I went in looking for a handful of items, none of which I spotted but I wasn't overly optimistic going in. I've got it in my mind that I would love to snag a couple of ATSF FP45/F45 but one of them has to be in the Kodachrome scheme. I have scoured everywhere I know but nothing sadly. I did find a couple of nice units, one of which (an Athearn Genesis DCC/sound pinstripe ATSF F45 for $155) was a great deal but couldn't convince myself to pull the trigger because of the scheme and a couple flaws.

That being said I am fairly happy with what I did buy, and the prices I paid for said items. I managed to nab about 7 BN/ATSF/BNSF covered hoppers from Accurail and Athearn for a little under $80. Otherwise I found alot of stuff I could have bought, though decided against it so I didn't put myself in the dog house with the wide haha. Crummy thing is that I am going to be on the road for work 11 of the next 14 weeks so I'm not going to be able to do much with theses kits or my railroad sadly. All around though I think it was a success for my first train show, and since this show seems to be quarterly here in KC I think I might save my cash for them instead of buying so much on eBay. Does anyone else knew of some other cool shows in this area I might want to check out, or anywhere I can find a Athearn Genesis ATSF F45 in Kodachrome?

- Niko
 
I know Kansas is a long way from So. California but What comes to my mind is a general idea for you.

Out here we have several 'flea market' train selling meets at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris, CA and also the Simi Valley model RR club. They are excellent examples of what you might find in your general area. Check the event listings in all the model RR magazines and see what pops up. Don't expect anything specific to be at these shows but you will find some wonderful items at low prices for nice items that you hadn't yet thought of. It's hit-or-miss but lots of fun on a budget.
 
Yea, ill have to keep my eye out for some of these things here, and might have to keep my eye out for events when I'm traveling. I was actually in Simi Valley a few months back which is kinda funny, thanks for the tip.
 


We don't have much in the way of model railroad shows up here in Montana, but while visiting friends in Missouri a few years ago I got to go to one with my friends and even though I really didn't need anything, I did manage to find a few bargains. I picked up a couple of Kadee fright cars new in the box for $20 each as well as some detail items.

My friend gave me a hint on train shows. The best bargains are probably just before the show ends and people still have unsold items. He said that you may now have the best selection, but the prices are good as many sellers want to get rid of what they have.

Hopefully I have all of the locomotives and rolling stock that I need. I try to store everything on the layout, be it in yards, at industries along the main line or on staging tracks. Looking at what I have the only rolling stock I may consider is probably for eastern railroads which I don't have many of, but I am starting to get short on space to park everything.
 
Does anyone else knew of some other cool shows in this area I might want to check out, or anywhere I can find a Athearn Genesis ATSF F45 in Kodachrome?
Hmm the last (and only) time that loco was manufactured was 2010. I just checked Train World and they did not have any. If anyone would have had new "old stock" I thought it would have been them.
 
Hmm the last (and only) time that loco was manufactured was 2010. I just checked Train World and they did not have any. If anyone would have had new "old stock" I thought it would have been them.


Sadly yes I have checked everywhere I could think of....There either wasn't many of them made, or they are popular (maybe both ha!). Either way, I will just keep my eyes open for one.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top