ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
A small layout just recently underway has a little issue. I've read both praise and scorn of the EZ-track. The majority of this layout is Atlas SuperFlex and is soldered together. However there are 3 sections of EZ (NS) with nothing more than rail joiners. First thing in the morning and/or first thing in the evening, it's dead track. I have checked each of the 3 sections before running the Loco for voltage and amperage and all checks out fine. I've taken a Loco and loaded the track sections while checking voltage and amperage and still, all checks out fine. Yet I still have to "run the track in" for smooth operation. Along the flex track, it's great and then it stumbles, spits, curses, etc, to get across the EZ track section. After running a Loco for 5-7 minutes or so, it's smooth sailing all the way around.
What am I missing?
You are missing the joiners. Whichever ones you are using, they are not doing their jobs. Blame several possibilities, but they are the culprits. I would bet they are too large on one end of them, not sure which, and they are sloppy. This may have been due to original specs or due to the joints sagging repeatedly under the weight of the locomotive(s) if the underlayment is not supporting both track lengths that join there, including right up to the joint, properly.
If you had the determination and nothing-to-lose attitude about, it, I would ask you to solder all the joiners, including the two pairs meeting flex. Try it, and then come back and report your findings. I think you will have to concede.

If you have Atlas track, I question why you are using EZ at all for only 3 sections?
Crandell is right...your rail joiners are not doing their jobs. They are different for Atlas track and EZ, and perhaps the twain shall never meet?
If you insist on using the atlas combined with the EZ, I would consider soldering them together at the rail joiners. It may help.
Mixing different types of track is not always a good idea.
good luck.
It sounds as if you're loosing power at the joiners. Are the joiners on the EZ-Track soldered to the other track? What type of EZ-Track is it? Steel rail (black roadbed)? Nickel silver rial (gray roadbed)? Steel rail can cause fits if not well maintained as only a very small amount of corrosion can insulate the rails from the locomotive. And the steel rail is zinc plated. If the plating is worn through anywhere that can cause problems too. Before you wonder if I know what I'm talking about my layout is ALL EZ-Track. I use the nickel silver track. I used the steel track in the past and I know what fits it cause.
The joiners were tight........however the track does bob up and down slightly under the trains weight as it passes. This explains why everything worked so smoothly in the beginning and the performance slowly deteriorated.
As to "why" using the EZ in conjunction with the Atlas.....My boy was ready to see it run so I set aside some quality for speed. Never again!
I'm having other issues with the underlayment as it's bowing up thus distorting the track. Essentially I'm doing a complete redo. "Quick and easy" was great for a few days worth of fun. Now it's time to do it right and enjoy it for months at a time.
Thanks guys.
The flexing at the joiners is where your problem is. It will only get worse as the joiners get looser. Solder the joiners or replace the sections with flex track.
The flexing at the joiners is where your problem is. It will only get worse as the joiners get looser. Solder the joiners or replace the sections with flex track.
Yes sir, tis why I said "were tight", not "are tight".

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)