Weekly Photo Fun 911-9/9-17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I watched the video and its nice that they can place the transfer on a piece of cardboard but that doesnt really help when you are going to be placing the transfer on locos or cars with rivits. Plus I wouldnt call it a decal system as dry transfers are not decals. If you can do artwork for the decals you want then its easy to find someone to print them as most of thework involved in thedecal is the artwork. You would have to EMail someoe like Jim at Highball Graphics or Solidesign and have them print them. I know that Solidesign charges $25 for a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet which is compareable to buying Microscale decals.
 
Anyway, back to pictures. :)

The UP local this week has a junker MP15 on the head end. There's and MDA hopper for pickup and a Southern hopper to drop off. Due to very poor planning by the chief engineeer, the track plan makes this way more difficult than it should be.

First, the UP drops the Southern hopper on the P&N station track/yard lead:

100_1714.jpg


Next, the UP engine has to run past the interchange switch on the main to clear the P&N 638 to push the empty hopper on to the main and couple it up to the local.

100_1715.jpg


The 638 pushes the empty out on the main and couples it on to the local.

100_1717.jpg


The 638 now has to duck back on to the station lead to clear the main while the UP 1413 has backed up to and coupled on to his train.

100_1718.jpg


Finally, the UP local is back in one piece and accelerates through the swamp behind downtown, the engineer fuming all the way about how much work they had to go through for one car. :) Those signal maintainers still haven't fixed that one crossing gate.

100_1719.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:


V&AL, it's actually a pretty crappy Windows Picture Editor addition of the lights. :) I don't have the warning lights on the sign working yet and the 70 tonner's warning lights either never seem to flash at the right time when I take the picture or they are too dim to see.
 
I took a bunch more photos of the layout. This round is starting the close up shots. here are a couple teasers:

The abandoned tunnel. The story is that some time ago the old bore had a roof cave in so they decided to make a new bore near it.

AbandonedTunnel01w-1.png


This is a shot that has never been done on the layout before showing the stream and bridge at the waterfall near the yard lead.

YardLeadWaterfall1w.png


Enjoy!
 
Here's the 2 Athearn SD40T-2's that I got this week & my Fla. Tri-rail engine w/cars attached. Also, the 4 BNSF engines I now have.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, nice job on that abandoned tunnel portal. Just to be the NMRA devils' advocate, why wouldn't they have pulled up the rails befor sealing the tunnel? Most railroads would use that kind of rail for relays on other worn out track. Nice waterfall and culvert. I just have dinky waterfall and timber bridge.

Larry, you sure are picking up some nice stuff lately. Let me guess, you got everything for two bucks each. :D

Thanks, DJ. I got the exposure off on a couple of them but I inow the right exposure for dusk picture now. :) That switching move shows the importance of a runaround track. If I had one, the locak coould have dropped the load and picked up the empty at the same time. Instead, because of faulty design, he has to run ahead on the main to let the P&N switcher come off the interchange track and couple the car up for him and then get out of the way so the local can get out of town. Of course, the engineer also built the track right to the layout edge so there's no room to add a runaround track. I'd give my left testicle for a runaround on the station track and one in the yard. :mad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Now let's get back to some pictures. :)
In the meantime, Lester keeps forgetting that we have train that runs in the street and keeps getting a bumper knocked off the pickup when that big thing right next to him merges into his lane. His repeated complaints to Mayor Bubba resulted in some safety striping being added and a warning light about where to stop if a train is next to you. The folks over at the courthouse are still betting Lester looses another bumper on the pickup. :) Here, #638 tests the new warning lights.
And here's all the striping and warning light that the mayor hopes even Lester can see:
100_1712.jpg

The UP local is coming into town for a pickup and drop off so I'll have to run over there and see if there are any good shots.

That's a pretty good striping job for a small town... over here in the Bay Area, there's several blocks of street running down by the Oakland station. Last I was down there still no striping or signage of any sort, never mind that the street is now lined with restaurants and highrise condos and trains go by every half hour or so at least.
 


Smiley, you must be talking about the Jack London Square area. Not only is it poorly marked but the street is poorly paved I'm surprised that Oakland has let the UP get away with it for so long.

In my case, the tracks merge with the street at an angle and the brick main street is wider than the concrete road. It's not a problem for most normal people since they can see that train coming but Lester, being the mayor's cousin, and not being the brightest bulb in the string, keeps getting tapped by the engine, which is only traveling at 5 mph. Lester is one of those guys who has a pickup that's six different colors from all the places it's been hit and has junkyard replacements but he's convinced there just aren't enough warning signs and stripes and that's what's causing him to hit by the train all the time. There's rumors he may also have a nip or two of moonshine from time to time. :)
 
Ray, nice job on that abandoned tunnel portal. Just to be the NMRA devils' advocate, why wouldn't they have pulled up the rails befor sealing the tunnel? Most railroads would use that kind of rail for relays on other worn out track. Nice waterfall and culvert. I just have dinky waterfall and timber bridge.

Thanks Jim! The story is: They pulled up everything except for the rails in the tunnel proper. To dangerous as more rock could cave in at any time. The 2 rails left go into the tunnel and they didn't come back with the cutting torch to remove what they could......:rolleyes: That is my story and I'm sticking to it! Besides I think it looks better with the rails in place......:D Hope the judges by it.;)
 
Thanks Jim! The story is: They pulled up everything except for the rails in the tunnel proper. To dangerous as more rock could cave in at any time. The 2 rails left go into the tunnel and they didn't come back with the cutting torch to remove what they could......:rolleyes: That is my story and I'm sticking to it! Besides I think it looks better with the rails in place......:D Hope the judges by it.;)

Ray: I think the story is quite workable considering that they do leave the things in if'n the tunnel is technically in collapse mode:eek:;) And besides which---it does look better!! So there ---HAAAARRUUUUMPH!!! :D:D:D:D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top