Weekly Photo Fun 8/7- 8/13

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Had the chance to attend a couple of operating sessions yesterday, Larry Burk's Clinch Valley and John DePauw's Elgin, Joliet, and Eastern. Two basement sized layouts that are a blast to operate on.

Here's some pics...

Clinch Valley -

3802642942_62e03b15e1_b.jpg


3801826125_2ba028c7b1_b.jpg


3802643164_a97f57dddc_b.jpg


EJE -

3804851468_9d26328628_b.jpg


3804849354_e011ddec0f_b.jpg


3804846134_3b6bd6fb95_b.jpg


You can see the rest here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/conrailmike/sets/

WOW!! Is this your personal layout? if so or not, where is this place?
 
Some final shots of the Warnerville tank before it is boxed up for the Narrow Gauge Convention where it will be part of my table display. Sheet metal on the roof seams is .005 copper sheet carefully scored so it will fold on the roof ridges.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:


And some progress photos of the O scale coaling tower. Client decided he wanted to add the sand tower to the side. The three coal chutes (1 underneath the tower) are scratch built about a wood form.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Holy cow. Those huge layouts make mine look like a switching yard. :) Very nice work on both and nice lighting on Larry's layout.

Matt, I don't know how you keep cranking them out but every one looks better than the others.
 
Andrew, that Jack in the Box kit is really coming out nice. I just wish the Summit models weren't so darned expensive. :(

Ray, playing the devils advocate here. The brown insulators were used exclusively for electrical lines. I assume your pole is supposed to represent a telegraph line. I have seen white telegraph insulators but the sparkly green ones look so cool. :)
 
WOW!! Is this your personal layout? if so or not, where is this place?

I only wish that one of these were mine! The first 3 pics are of the Clinch Valley and the next 3 are of The EJE. The EJE layout has 2 separate dispatchers, one for each level. The top level is single track main and the bottom level is double track main.

Both of these layouts are here in Michigan. Larry Burk has monthly operating sessions on Thursday nights for the Clinch Valley and John DePauw operates monthly on Tuesday nights for the EJE.
 
After spending far to long faffing about I've finally got this to the point of being semi-presentable.

Its a Summit kit. I'm going to add the Walthers air con gubbins to the roof (which isn't attached in the pics, and do a full interior. Don't know why as the supplied transfers will cover most of the window space. Not too worried about the cyano fogging of the 'glass' as its going to be mostly covered.
Nice work! I have to to order myself the Jack in the Box, though with the modern era I model, I'll have to kitbash already as the signs have been changed. In any case, was its that complex to put togeather?
 
Got these three dusted with chalks this morning. They are all for a single client who will be picking them up mid-week. The coaling tower is huge, note how it dwarfs the sand house next to it. If you look close at the ice blocks on the platform I drizzled some Envirotex Light on them and allowed it to run to simulate melt water.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 


Nice work! I have to to order myself the Jack in the Box, though with the modern era I model, I'll have to kitbash already as the signs have been changed. In any case, was its that complex to put togeather?

Its a real easy kit. Basically you do the 4 walls and floor, then the entrance ways. The assembly only took an evening. You will need a bit of filler and sanding on the corners though as their slot & tab construction leaves some gaps. The hardest part is cutting the awnings out, as you just get a sheet and templates.

Painting is what took the time. I botched the first attempt with a brush job so ended up stripping it down and spraying it. If it is of use, I painted before putting in the awnings, supports, and window & door frames which I painted separately and attached afterwards.

Should be easy enough to get the new logos and signage from the web and print out onto a sticky label. That's what Summit did.
 
Got these three dusted with chalks this morning. They are all for a single client who will be picking them up mid-week. The coaling tower is huge, note how it dwarfs the sand house next to it. If you look close at the ice blocks on the platform I drizzled some Envirotex Light on them and allowed it to run to simulate melt water.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Matt, what did you use on the ice house to get the texture?
 
The texture on the ice house is from texture spray paint that I got from Walmart. Came out nice after two coats. I am planning on using it on a city structure to simulate rough concrete. It might also work in HO, I would try it on some scrap structure before committing to some good building. It does work well in O to simulate either stucco or rough concrete. Make sure that you mask off any details that you don't want covered as the paint is a bit thick and will cover small details.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I do O scale so it will be just fine. I figured it was either textured paint or the spray texture in a can that you use for drywall repairs. I have some drywall texture left from a patch job (fine texture of course) and gonna try that on some scrap but I think it will be too course and thick compared to the paint. Thanks for the response.

Do you have any pix of the Ice Platform light installation??
 
Lights were wired using a pair of busses made from .028 brass wire, each of the lights was soldered to these busses. To make the installation easier I laid the buss rods on top of the rafters instead of attaching them to the underside of the top cord. The roofing boards of 2x10's were nearly the same thickness and were run up to the buss rods on either side then covered over with the "tar paper"

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Its a real easy kit. Basically you do the 4 walls and floor, then the entrance ways. The assembly only took an evening. You will need a bit of filler and sanding on the corners though as their slot & tab construction leaves some gaps. The hardest part is cutting the awnings out, as you just get a sheet and templates.

Painting is what took the time. I botched the first attempt with a brush job so ended up stripping it down and spraying it. If it is of use, I painted before putting in the awnings, supports, and window & door frames which I painted separately and attached afterwards.

Should be easy enough to get the new logos and signage from the web and print out onto a sticky label. That's what Summit did.
Sweet, thanks. I have the Taco Bell, though I'm not planning to assemble it until I get into a house, so I won't damage it during the move.
 
Matt, that coaling tower is huge! How do you ever get things that size done so fast? I've used the texture paint also and it works really well in any scale from HO up. The Make It Stone line seems especially good. The blcak and white color (I think they call it Granite) makes perfect tar and stone roofing. As you say, mask off anything you don't want covered because that stuff just doesn't come off.

Jeffrey, real nice work on thos buildings so far. Have you decided where to put the business district yet?
 
Jeffrey, real nice work on thos buildings so far. Have you decided where to put the business district yet?
The business district will across the back of the layout. The main layout area reflects the industrial areas of two towns side by side with forest area on either side.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top