Weekly Photo Fun 8-28/9-03

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


LOS, I guess that's one advantage of a non-structural body. Just rip off all the panels and go to work. Looks like that engine had one heck of a problem of some kind. Almost looks like a wreck repair.

Jeffrey, I have to look close to figure out if those buildings are on your layout or back drop.

Thanks. BOC, I like making concrete roads better than ashphalt. They just seem to have more character. I like making scenes and stories up too. As you say, I'm surprised more guys don't. Seems like we should be telling a story with our layout and the people who inhabit it. Otherwise, it's just a nice diorama.

DJ, nice brace of engines there. That's one nice thing about modeling the Pennsy. You can have one of just about any engine made up until the PC days since the Pennsy ran them all.

Crandell, in addition to your excellent advice, a friend who's a professional photographer looked at some of my photos and and said the problem was I was trying to get exactly the right exposure with the camera. It made my photos too bright and washed out. She said to go one half second below the ideal exposure and then adjust the results on the computer, since digital picks up the detail better if it's a little too dark. That picture of the UP engine coming into town was so dark you could only see the engine and a little of the scenery. I adjusted the brightness and contrast and she was right, you can see the detail better and more naturally if you let the computer bring it out.
 
Grampy, beautiful shot as always!!! Wow!

BTW that RS3 at the back isn't PRR 8445 is it??? Just wondering?
 


Here's one of the clouds I worked on today.

DSCN1831-1.jpg
 
Jim, my go-to guy to prettify my better images has told me the same thing. He can't get detail from an image that has bright highlights or washed out places due to over-exposure, but he has the software to bring up stuff that is hard to see...it is still there and 'reachable'.

I don't like to bug him all the time...Jarrell is very patient and indulgent...so I just send him the odd image that I get a gut feel for as being above average. He doesn't always agree with my assessment, but he never fails to do the work anyway. So it falls to me to be 'controlled' and not become a nuisance. :rolleyes:

-Crandell
 
Ray, you lucky dog, you got to ride in that Alco, didn't you? DJ.

Many times.....:D Actually she was rebuilt with an EMD 567B prime mover some time ago. Over her life time she has worked for 5 different RRs during her long life. She has been PRR, PC, LV, Conrail, and finally now the R& GV Museum. She is one of 5 RS3s that have both dynamic brakes, and a steam generator. Right now she is out of service with a broken water pump. By next Spring we hope to have her back up and running as she is our largest and most powerful loco.

More about the old girl here: http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/lv211/index.htm

One more shot of her (you can plainly see that ain't no ALCO in there any more....:

211StartUp04w.png
 


Thanks for the interesting info, Ray. That is going on my "must visit" list.

On the right weekend you can get cab rides in the locos or ride in our cabooses and.... A trolley ride from the New York Museum of transportation (our sister museum 2 mile up the track). It would only be a 5 hour trip from where you live........;)
 
Jeffrey, I'm making the assumption that all the buildings are on the back drop but I really can't tell. Nice looking cloud, just the right shape and color.

Jerome, nice generators. Did you actually put all those litle decals on? :eek:

Crandell, I guess people who really know digital photography must think alike. I've gotten much better images since I've been underexposing.

Ray, the inside says EMD but she still looks like an Alco from the outside. A lot better than another GP-9.
 
Some of the pieces that are going to the National Narrow Gauge Convention with me. First up is a company house from a fire brick company. Design came from an article in NG&SLG about 6 years ago. This piece is built in O scale. Next up is a freelance freight station. Building can be lifted off of the platform for further interior detailing as all of the freight doors are modeled partly opened. This piece is in HO.


Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Next up is a D&RGW early 16x24 50,000 gallon water tank. Done in O scale. Next are three mining company houses, done to a similar plan each with slightly different details. These are also in O scale.


Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lastly is a progress shot of the piece that I am planning on entering in the model contest this year. Done in O scale it is the C&S Como depot circa 1899.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top