Weekly Photo Fun 7/31- 8/6

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


What's the prototype of this? I coulda sworn I had a Pabst at this place a few months ago.:D

The prototype was in my mind.:D

But growing up in Wisconsin it was a combination of many places I remember growing up. Pabst and Old Style.... those days are gone forever.
 
Now a question, does anyone know of a source for trucks like these, ie with a large motor wheel and a much smaller idler wheel. The photo is of an overturned trolley in 1911.
I think that's something you'd going to have to kitbash! However, if you do, I'd love to see it!
 
So today I went up to check out the Free-mo set-up in San Bernardino. There were members from (IIRC) three groups out of CA, one from Utah, and one from NM.

freemo_aug1_07.jpg

MTH HO SP GS-4 #4449... Looked awesome, operated like crap (kept shorting).

freemo_aug1_16.jpg

freemo_aug1_17.jpg

SNEAK PREVIEW!!! Exact Rail's coal hoppers!!! I spent at least an hour drooling over these, along with a number of other people. "Mr MRL" (Robby) got the distinct honor of being the first person outside of Exact Rail employee's to operate these cars.

freemo_aug1_22.jpg

Overview, Blaine Hadfield (Exact Rail) and David Hussey (Cannon & Co) are the two gentlemen to the front left.

freemo_aug1_28.jpg

Compare Exact Rail car to older 100T design...

More photos:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Train Shows/Free-Mo San Bernardino Aug 1st/

I got to chat with David (Cannon & Co), and Craig (BLMA Models), which was great. Craig thanked me for my review of his bridge, and confirmed what we pretty much determined early on, as he said it "comparing apples to oranges", I.E. the two bridges are similar, yet different... Also met several new people of which their names miss me (as always), and picked up some stuff I was buying from Daniel Risdon (Free-mo LA). Got myself two new Walthers 205' well car sets to cut back, and four 53' chassis, one 48' chassis, and two 53' containers..
 


Built the three large lightning rods for the Como superintendent's house, They were mounted on each gable end of the upper roof. The copper ridge flashing is .005 copper sheet cut into strips and scored for the fold, still need to be weathered.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also worked on the Sierra Railroad's Warnerville water tank in O scale. This was an open topped tank that they went back and installed a roof on which was 3' above the tank lip. Interesting design and pretty much unique as far as I know. This roof will get individually applied wood shingles in the next day or two.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Josh: Heard from a traction modeler and the trucks have been produced commercially, they are Brill maximum traction trucks. Now I just have to locate one of the sets, two of the makers are out of business, the other is not producing them at this time.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
So today I went up to check out the Free-mo set-up in San Bernardino. There were members from (IIRC) three groups out of CA, one from Utah, and one from NM.

More photos:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Train Shows/Free-Mo San Bernardino Aug 1st/

I got to chat with David (Cannon & Co), and Craig (BLMA Models), which was great. Craig thanked me for my review of his bridge, and confirmed what we pretty much determined early on, as he said it "comparing apples to oranges", I.E. the two bridges are similar, yet different... Also met several new people of which their names miss me (as always), and picked up some stuff I was buying from Daniel Risdon (Free-mo LA). Got myself two new Walthers 205' well car sets to cut back, and four 53' chassis, one 48' chassis, and two 53' containers..

Josh, I didn't say you could take my picture. You just saved me from posting my photos.

Yep, those new Exact's were sure nice. Too bad I have other things to pay off before they hit the market. The coal load in them look great!
 
Josh: Heard from a traction modeler and the trucks have been produced commercially, they are Brill maximum traction trucks. Now I just have to locate one of the sets, two of the makers are out of business, the other is not producing them at this time.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
Awesome! Sounds great...

Josh, I didn't say you could take my picture. You just saved me from posting my photos.

Yep, those new Exact's were sure nice. Too bad I have other things to pay off before they hit the market. The coal load in them look great!
Dang, and I didn't get to meet you, did I manage to get you in of those photos?
 
Dang, and I didn't get to meet you, did I manage to get you in of those photos?

Yep, I was the big guy with a Blue MRL hat and Green Mountain Dew Shirt (though I did see some other big guy with the same shirt on. It was my long lost brother, I guess). I spent most of the time either chasing my son Jared around telling him not to touch or having him on my shoulders.

The show was great, but maybe next time I'll be running a train.
 


Yep, I was the big guy with a Blue MRL hat and Green Mountain Dew Shirt (though I did see some other big guy with the same shirt on. It was my long lost brother, I guess). I spent most of the time either chasing my son Jared around telling him not to touch or having him on my shoulders.

The show was great, but maybe next time I'll be running a train.
Ahhh, think I remember you then... I was the guy in the Santa Fe Southern Railway shirt and OIF vet hat...

I've been chatting with Dan (free-mo LA), and the show was to get me out looking at their stuff. I think their next build session, I'll have to stop in, and discuss my "plan" to model the station in my hometown on a module...
 
Finished up on the interior for the house, it consisted of the room in back of the bay window which was modeled as a parlor. Chickens and other details added to the rest of the piece. Still left to do is the trim on the bay and weathering.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Josh!

Thanks for sharing all those photos! I enjoyed them! Are you going to the WPM show this year...I think it is this month isnt it?
 
Ahhh, think I remember you then... I was the guy in the Santa Fe Southern Railway shirt and OIF vet hat...

I've been chatting with Dan (free-mo LA), and the show was to get me out looking at their stuff. I think their next build session, I'll have to stop in, and discuss my "plan" to model the station in my hometown on a module...
Thats a great thing to do! I personally joined up with the MN Free-Mo recently and I have four modules I work on day in and day out. Its quite easy, and fun.
 
Josh!

Thanks for sharing all those photos! I enjoyed them! Are you going to the WPM show this year...I think it is this month isnt it?
Yup, Sept 19th. Just requested the 19th & 20th off from work.

Seems a friend from Europe will be in town and wants to go as well.

Thats a great thing to do! I personally joined up with the MN Free-Mo recently and I have four modules I work on day in and day out. Its quite easy, and fun.
Sure looks like it...
 
Yup, Sept 19th. Just requested the 19th & 20th off from work.

Seems a friend from Europe will be in town and wants to go as well.


Sure looks like it...

Cool! I will be looking forward to your entries and the photos of the other guys stuff! i wish I could go! Someday I will plan for a trip to go. That is one of the most incredible shows I have seen via photos on their website....a lot of talented guys and ladies!
 
HO scale freight station that is being built to display/sell at the Narrow Gauge Convention at Colorado Springs next month. Freelance design inspired by a long narrow prototype whose plans were in RMC back in the 70's. Exterior is all individually applied 1x12's (it is just a bit of 1/2 sheathed in these photos) over a core of .040 Evergreen. Dock was also built board by board.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 


Then the finish photos of the C&S Superintendent's house in Como, Colorado. Piece was done from scratch in O scale. Siding is Evergreen. Slate shingles on the roof are from Builders in Scale (he makes the best looking textured slate shingles I have seen).
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top