ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Sure, Matt, rub it in with a nice roof covering too. That cone looks like a (hopefully) empty round with a bullet for the cone.
Josh, looks like that's going to be quite a tank car when you're done.
Chris, those are some nice little stations you picked up. Where did you get them?
Zak, now that I look at you prototype photo, it looks like the dirt from the road has completely covered the crossing except for the track and the flangeway. I'd use the same technique you used for the dirt road to also cover the crossing.
A few shots of the bulk oil dealer. The star is hand painted, still needs to be weathered/faded once it is totally dry. Then some of the tanks along with the saddles that I cast for the horizontal units.
Lots of good answers as to what was used for the cone at the bottom of this piece (the tank for a sand tower). Would you believe it is a cork fishing float from Walmart. They come in several sizes and fit nicely into a short section of PVC to form tanks. By the way the rivets on the tank are Grant Line castings, though I also make them with Arleen's Tacky Glue and a syringe.