Weekly Photo Fun 7/17-7/23

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Those are some beautiful overpasses, are they custom built?

Thanks for noticing. My overpasses are the first thing that I have custom created while in the hobby. Lucky for me I had a photo of the bridges of the location that I wanted to model. I then purchased what I thought I need of styrene and wood and started to match the prototype. I'm very happy with the way the first one turned out. The hardest part for me was matching the color of the concrete overpasses. I believe that I still need to achieve that.


Matt, Thanks for giving up your secret on how you weather your wood, 'cause man they look real! Any trick to make my plastic ties look like weathered wood for my abandoned track?
 
Josh, nice old coach you have coming together.

Ray, I like ponds, since I have one on my layout. I think this is the first time I've seen and ice house pond complete with conveyor. Very nice work on the pond and ice house.

Zak, those bridges look good. Is the one in the background actually going to be that high? Gives me vertigo looking up at it. :) I've used Floquil Aged Concrete with some chalks for weathering and found it to be a pretty good match for most concrete. My earlier pictures of street running show the color in the concrete track strip in the brick street. For aging plastic ties, I use a combination of about 80% SP Lark Gray and 20% Rail Tie brown. I find this gives a very weathered look to the ties with just a touch of the creosote still showing through. Spray the track first if you can or you'll be stuck painting each tie. It's not bad in that you can vary each tie color a bit but it is mind-numbingly boring. :D

Jeffrey, nice load of junk in that gondola.
 
Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on what colors to use. I have those paints so I'm going to give it a try. Yeah, No on that bridge going to be that high. (mabye we'll do some bungie jumping later). I have to do some drilling to make way for the pilars into my plaster. I'm hoping to paint the bridge first.
 


I'm busy with my narrow gauge module. Here's the first bridge.

09-07-15_IMG_7805_900.jpg


Wolfgang
 
Matt and Jim thanks for your kind words. I am pleased with how the area has turned out.

Matt your Icing Platform is going to be great! I have thought about putting one on my layout..... Not sure where it would go yet.
 
Woflgang, nice job on that pony truss bridge. Did you scratchbuild it or is it from a kit? Either way, they are a bear to put together.

Matt, I forgot to mention that roof on the icing platfrom. The platform itself looked hard enough but now a roof? You are a better man than me. :)
 
Got the lights installed and the sub roof installed. The lights are done with a pair of buss rods to which each of the lights are soldered. The rods are visible on top of the roof joists.
 
I added tempra powder to my road to make it look more like dirt. It turned out pretting good. I just need to weather the crossing boards better and start adding grass. Oh, and finish those darn overpasses.

Picture428.jpg


Picture423.jpg
 


Matt, I hate you! :D :D Nice job on that roof though.

Zak, the dirt road really looks like dirt now. Try a wash of India ink and alcohol on the crossing boards. It should give it a nice weathered look. I like that abandoned track.

Jeffrey, that poor old steamer just looks more and more forlorn everytime you post a new picture. :)
 
Jeffrey, that poor old steamer just looks more and more forlorn everytime you post a new picture. :)
That's the idea. There's a grand total of two steamers on my layout. Pne is on public display in the Knutzville park and the other is blithely ignored and rusting away behind the Sundown fire station.
 
My two new train stations! They just arrived today:D Also I bought the rest of the wood i'll need to get back to work on that bridge!
 
Jim: Sorry that you are mad, hope these don't send you over the edge. Decided that a red tar paper roof would look best for this building, one with some damage to the roofing paper.
 
Then some other work. First two are of a scratch built O scale coaling tower, right now I am working on the delivery house structures. Next on is the start of a horizontal oil storage tank also in O. And last is a shot showing the roof structure for the bulk oil distributor.
 


And now a puzzle. See if you can guess what was used as the basis for the cone at the bottom of this piece.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top