ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I found a old diorama I made years ago. Thought I would take a few photos of my new Athearn SD50. Don't pay attention to the crappy paint work on the hillside...
The hillside looks pretty fair though I can see the screen in a couple of places. The loco looks real good. The only one I have with a Rid Grande paint scheme is an old Atlas GP40 and it doesn't hold a candle to your Athearn.
The hillside looks pretty fair though I can see the screen in a couple of places. The loco looks real good. The only one I have with a Rid Grande paint scheme is an old Atlas GP40 and it doesn't hold a candle to your Athearn.
Thanks Jeff. I actually got a great deal on it at the LHS. Had to grab it even though I don't really model Rio Grande. That was my first attempt at scenery and I rushed it.
How well does it run? Better than the Chinamade Athearn RTR models I've had I hope. I had problems with loose wires, bad solder joints, bad motors and cracked trucks.
So far it runs great. I opened it up and everything inside looked good. Up until now I have only owned the cheap old locos that you can get from swap meets and old train sets. I have a few old ones made in the 80's and early 90's.