Weekly Photo Fun 5-6/5-12

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


It seems when it runs by itself it runs faster, but when you consist it, it takes a lot of throttle input to get it to move. The other loco I consist it with has already taken off before this one even thinks of moving. I use a NCE system and both locos have Digitrax 123 decoders in them.
 
I'm always blown away by the work in this thread. You guys have mad skills. :)

This is a Model Power kit, some kind of truck transfer place. It's got a ways to go yet but I think the stone work turned out decently.

P1010008-10.png
P1010009-4.png


The paint's just grey primer, weathered/colored with alcohol and powders. I cut the sign out of a match book. I think I'll add a little more color to the corrugated bits... plus maybe an awning/extension to handle a team track.
 


FUNNELFAN, what sizse wheels are used on those tankers?

They're just the normal 33" wheels. Apparently sulfuric acid is dense and heavy, and the reason for the small tankcars. Research of the prototype cars reveled that the loading fixtures on top were often rusty with rust streaks going down around the sides of the cars until the drip edge on each side. Obviously the rust is from the corrosive nature of the acid. Also, the wheels kick up dirt coating the whole underside of the car and up the ends in two streaks. That required some very tricky use of the airbrush to simulate.
 
It seems when it runs by itself it runs faster, but when you consist it, it takes a lot of throttle input to get it to move. The other loco I consist it with has already taken off before this one even thinks of moving. I use a NCE system and both locos have Digitrax 123 decoders in them.

Sounds like a starting voltage difference, or momentum programmed in. I would look up the CV codes and start programing by setting identical CVs for start volts,and momentum
 
My work certainly isn't up to the level of that very well done stock car or those tank cars, but ....

Well that comes with years of modeling. My early models weren't the greatest either, consisting of kitbashed tyco products and such. For instance I sawed the top off a couple of BN 50' tyco plug door boxcars to make a couple woodchip cars. I put chip loads in each and soaked them with diluted white glue. Unfortunately I over did the water and each load grew mold before it dried. So I had a couple of green woodchip loads! No one made woodchip cars at the time, but my models looked nothing like the prototype.
Your modeling is certainly improving, and will continue to improve. I can only suggest that you keep trying different things and experimenting. Also, look at prototype photos, and strive to replicate what you see to the best of your abilities. In the end your in the hobby to have fun, and there is really no bar to surpass but those you set for yourself.
 
Your modeling is certainly improving, and will continue to improve. I can only suggest that you keep trying different things and experimenting. Also, look at prototype photos, and strive to replicate what you see to the best of your abilities. In the end your in the hobby to have fun, and there is really no bar to surpass but those you set for yourself.
I used to do very well detailed modeling, then I lost much of the feeling in my hands and I lost much of the dexterity that allowed me to do fine work. I've had to relearn a lot to get to the point I'm at now. It was almost like having to learn to walk again.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top