ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Jon, looks like a really nice backdrop so far. I like the flats and how they integrate into the background. Yes, I do love details.
V&AL, those are some more really interesting concept models. I think you should get a patent on the AMTRAMTRAK dual cab model before GE or EMD steals your idea.
Crandell, I like the gritty look of the yard tracks and heavy iron on the main, especially in that crossover. Looks like big time railroading. I'm sure the standpipe will look better when the flood repairs are complete.
Ray, speaking of standpipes, that's a real nice job on yours. Is it from a kit or what? It has just the right amount of complication and weathering to be convincing.
Matt, what can I say, as usual. I couldn't build a kit as nice as your two water tanks let alone do it from scratch. You really nailed the staining from water leakage on the second tank as well as the murky green water look.
Ray, speaking of standpipes, that's a real nice job on yours. Is it from a kit or what? It has just the right amount of complication and weathering to be convincing.
Thank you Jim (and Crandell) It is a Tichy Train Group Kit of a Sheffield Water Column. They were often on the NYO&W (which is the more or less prototype for the SLO&W). It is a moderately difficult kit to assemble only because the directions are a bit vague (Drill a #80 hole in the .........) and there is only one expanded photo of the parts.
Free makes it even sweeter. Back in the Spring I was at a show and a vender was selling old limited run craftsman kits. One was a FSM kit of a complex on John Allen's G&D. He was "only" asking $495.00 for it.
Knowing a deal when I see one I looked the FSM kit over very carefully and then bought an entry level $6.95 laser cut kit from him so he could at least buy himself lunch.
I like the PM one, are they spectrum's? If not, how is the quality of the non spectrum steamers?
And heres 3 pics of the same P40/42 im slowly working on. Hoping to get this model kinda finished up on the shell. Then it will be onto the underframe for the rest of the details west super detail kit. Hoping the bits I have will drill into the aluminum frame.
I bought the KD trip pin pliers to adjust the trip pin. Still neds some adjusting.
Trimmed the rear pilot a tad at the bottom. Will be adding some styrene to add the air hose tray? Also removed the MU and HEP plugs and relocated them to the top of the pilot as you see them. Athearn had them down by the coupler which wasn't even close to the prototype.
Also added the MU hoses. I'll be adding the HEP cable once I get that vise that has the small clips on adjustable arms so i can paint them.
Drilling out the fan so i can remove that excess stuff for future tsunami sound decoder.