Weekly Photo Fun 5-22/5-28

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Seeing as it's almost noon and nobody has opened a new WPF I guess it's up to me -- again.

My latest project was this GE U30C that I chopped and rebuilt with EMD parts.

DSCN1422.jpg


P5200356.jpg


DSCN1427.jpg


I will soon be adding CAT decals to it. That could twist up some eyebrows.

The loco compliments my SD27J nicely. The Sundown rebuild shop is really cranking the Frankensteins out.

DSCN1281.jpg
 
Jeffrey, those projects will keep you out of trouble. Nice work! :)

A local service station.

P1030204.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know Grampy. I've already had a rivet counter (neighbor) look at teh GE. He went ghostly pale, picked his lower jaw up off the floor and walked out. That just tells me he has no imagination.
 


Frankenstein Locomotive Works.....I like it! Jeff, I don't know many people in the hobby who know how to find pleasure and amusement in it as well as you. I think it takes a big heart and and open mind (ahem...inside joke in view of the thread on RTR on MR forum right now) to get the most out of one's hobby dollars.

DJ, you did a find job on that kit. I take it that you intend to weather it a wee bit, maybe tone down the red a bit? Not criticizing, just noting that it looks too new! :D But I think you have turned out a very nice micro-scene. I like all the details as you have them. I wouldn't mind seeing a wider view to help me place it on your layout sometime.

Here, we have train and turntable crews who have a problem. Someone forgot that there is more than one entry for a T1 in the Steam Locomotive Cyclopedia.

Cs-long-engine-2nd-try.png
 
Jeffery - 2900 is looking good: I too, enjoy kitbashing :o)
Grampys - your attention to detail and the camera work always amaze me.
Selector - I love it! - what TT is that?

A couple of the kitbash I've been playing with. A little signage, weathering and ground cover and then set it in place.
 
Thanks, Crandell. Actually, this was one of those "dreaded" already built buildings. This is located towards a back corner that had to be built quickly, so I could move toward the front. After looking at this photo, you are absolutely right about needing some additional weathering. That "55 Chev" needs some dirt, too. That turntable scene and loco are great! So, how do they turn a loco that's too long?
 
Jon, the TT is Walthers Indexed (built-up) 90'er. They are one of the greatest boons to RTR HO modellers that I have found. I couldn't recommend it more highly. I am glad you enjoyed the joke.

DJ, I had no idea about it being RTR, but you, of all people, have nothing to lose or to gain by either having it or admiting to it. Much of my stuff is RTR, and I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am....because I am close to lothe to build kits. Heck, all my engines are RTR, and I couldn't be in the hobby otherwise. I hope using the odd built-up frees you to enjoy other aspects of "your" hobby. :) It does hugely for me.

Turning the Duplex? I guess there must have been a large TT someplace, but a turning wye would probably be too sharp a curvature for the rigid duplex drive. These engines were characterized as rail straighteners, and with good reason. But they were brutish and fast.

I do know that the NYC had to jack up the last axles on their Niagara's centipede tenders so that they could turn the engines.

Imagine a 90' turntable...and then look at how greatly extended the engine is from the close end. The UP and other roads eventually build 120-130' TT's to turn their Big Boys and Challengers...and equivalent freight monsters.

-Crandell
 
Jon, your kit has come along very well. It is very interesting, and I like the compilation of the bridge and mortar building with the silos. Nice job. :D

-Crandell
 


... I think it takes a big heart and and open mind (ahem...inside joke in view of the thread on RTR on MR forum right now) to get the most out of one's hobby dollars.

Crandell;

Had to go and take a look at the discussion. While RTR is now a big part of the hobby, it will never be a big part of my hobby.

Does that make me right? No more than it makes someone who buys everything RTR right.

Nice thing about this hobby, there's no one way to do it and still be "right"!:D

Great Pic BTW!
 
Frankenstein Locomotive Works.....I like it! Jeff, I don't know many people in the hobby who know how to find pleasure and amusement in it as well as you. I think it takes a big heart and and open mind (ahem...inside joke in view of the thread on RTR on MR forum right now) to get the most out of one's hobby dollars.
I try to make the most of what little I have. I got the GE (Atlas Master Silver series) for $35, the SD27J (originally an SD24) is also an Atlas Master Silver series loco. I got it for $40. Each of them originally retailed for over $100.
 
Jon, the TT is Walthers Indexed (built-up) 90'er. They are one of the greatest boons to RTR HO modellers that I have found. I couldn't recommend it more highly. I am glad you enjoyed the joke.

DJ, I had no idea about it being RTR, but you, of all people, have nothing to lose or to gain by either having it or admiting to it. Much of my stuff is RTR, and I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am....because I am close to lothe to build kits. Heck, all my engines are RTR, and I couldn't be in the hobby otherwise. I hope using the odd built-up frees you to enjoy other aspects of "your" hobby. :) It does hugely for me.

Turning the Duplex? I guess there must have been a large TT someplace, but a turning wye would probably be too sharp a curvature for the rigid duplex drive. These engines were characterized as rail straighteners, and with good reason. But they were brutish and fast.

I do know that the NYC had to jack up the last axles on their Niagara's centipede tenders so that they could turn the engines.

Imagine a 90' turntable...and then look at how greatly extended the engine is from the close end. The UP and other roads eventually build 120-130' TT's to turn their Big Boys and Challengers...and equivalent freight monsters.

-Crandell

Wasn't there a TT in Colo. that was 140' long?

I thought i read that there was but---?
 
A fine start to the long weekend folks! Of course we always have some impressive work displayed here.

I have been finishing a few details on the layout and got a few shots of my old milk train cars at the end of the afternoon run heading back to Hopewell Junction.

OverlandCars3w.png


OverlandCars2w.png
 
Ooooooooooo....shorties! I like 'em! :D Have a couple meself.

Carey, I probably ought to have included "and a big wallet" in my statement. Certainly RTR is hard on the moolah. And I enjoyed one craftsman kit so far, as well as making my wooden trestle (stained with real creosote oil :D), one a kit, the other scratched.

But I have to say I can't do it every other week, or even every other month. I just don't get that ripped about making stuff. Playing...yew betcha...but the building, even the layout itself, just doesn't get under my skin. I only do it so that I can play trains on something passably realistic.

-Crandell
 
A few new and fairly new acquisitions from last night and a couple of weeks ago.

A Kato SD40-2 Mid Run

jamestrainsandlivingend084-1.jpg


jamestrainsandlivingend074-1-1.jpg


and Intermountain Hoppers. BNSF and Minnesota Soy + Plus a North Dakota Mills 4750 cubic foot hopper.

jamestrainsandlivingend077-1.jpg


jamestrainsandlivingend076-1.jpg


jamestrainsandlivingend089-1.jpg


jamestrainsandlivingend090-1.jpg


And then - my two Pumpkins BNSF AC440CW and SD40-2.

jamestrainsandlivingend086-1-1.jpg
 
Ooooooooooo....shorties! I like 'em! :D Have a couple meself.

-Crandell

Yep, found out that the New York, Ontario, and Western RR was still using theirs in revenue service until 1931. Since the SLOW is loosely based on the NYO&W, and is set in 1925, it was absolutely prototype to put them into service (not that that is any restriction for me anyway....). But that little fact was the spark to get me to redo the cars and put them back into "revenue" service.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top