ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Blue the onlt problem I see is that you need to turn back the clock about 60 years and put a Berkshire in the place of 6365. Other than that looooken gooood man.
Blue the onlt problem I see is that you need to turn back the clock about 60 years and put a Berkshire in the place of 6365. Other than that looooken gooood man.
Jeff, it looks like you are really trying here, but you're kinda overdoing it with the rust. That's prehaps the main problem is that there is no grime to go with the rust. Also, the rust on the cars tends to be around for a while, and is almost black in nature. That color of iron oxide is new rust. I did a short how-to on weathering not long ago that I think you will find useful. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17047
Thanks for the advice. I'm just playing with this and learning what I can do with all the problems I have. Keep in mind that I don't use enamel paints but use latex. That presents a few problems with airbrush use. It's not impossible but the paint has to be very well filtered before use. At present I'm using just a brush and a paper towel with a limited choice of colors.
Actually that was the point in my How-To, in that I only used a couple of cheap acrylic paints from the arts and crafts retailers, some rubbing alcohol, and a couple of brushes to create a very realistic weathering job without much effort. No airbrushes and nothing fancy.
LOL to be honest I never knew it had a number on it before you pointed it out. I'm actually playing with camera settings to find the right combination for my layout. After you posted I also noticed that the caboose doesn't have kadee's on it yet. That will change very soon.
I've been getting settled back in my hometown of Houston, TX, and have joined the local club down here, The All Points North Model Railroad Club. Once again, no home, and no job... but I'm already in the RR club (priorities, priorities...)
The TRE makes a stop at Port Keechi with borrowed power.
The Bay Bayou and Gulf picks up an empty heavy duty flat from the docks.
An excursion train enroute to Conroe.
A WSOR switch job passes through Burnito.
The APN operates under CTC during operating sessions with a computerized dispatch board, but without a dispatcher, they just run block signals. I'm in the process of adding resistors to most of my rolling stock to accommodate the signaling system on the APN.
It is a really good model - the details are quite something. And it runs so smooth (even on my dodgy track).
My only criticism (and it is a minor one) is that I can't separate the connectors between the engine unit and the first carriage. The 2nd carriage and the end unit separate fine but the other two just seem to be stuck - I just don't want to try "brute force and ignorance" as they're after all only plastic couplers.
So I now have to store those two in a separate box. Not a huge hindrance, but just an observation.
And here's an attempt at an arty shot of the train proceeding at speed through the station.