ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Well? Seeing that I missed all of the caboose postings a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd continue the caboose theme this week with a couple of mine. These too were just old crappy blah cabooses so I thought I'd get out some decals and some paint and see what would happen.
-
HO Caboose.jpg
516.9 KB
· Views: 336
-
HO GN caboose.jpg
442.8 KB
· Views: 402
Souleman1948 ...... Great idea to start the weekly photo fun with GN cabooses. You did a great job of painting and lettering them.
Here is a caboose that was a basket case rescued from a train show. It is wood construction and appears to be from a kit made by Silver Streak Models maybe 50 years ago. I repaired it. Hone painted and lettered it. The GP7 was a basket case Tenshodo model.
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
Nice Great Northern pics! Here is my Northern Pacific. Looks a lot better in the early morning light :

These photos were posted before in other areas of the forum.
This weekend I did something I've thought about doing for a long time. I broke down and decided to turn my Athearn BB GP35 into a dummy. I've had the loco for over 20 years, and I consider it to be the real piece of model railroading equipment that I received (once I had demonstrated to my parents an affliction for the hobby by thoroughly enjoying my starter train set). It ran noisy as hell, but was also the fasted and most powerful loco I've owned, as well as the least sensitive to any track power issues. It was bar far the loco that has put the most miles in, including the inaugural runs around the bench layout my dad build for me in the garage when I was a kid, the Christmas tree, and whatever space I've had for an oval of track since.
A few years back I bought a BB GP-40 that I hoped would run similarly enough to the GP35 for the two of them to be run together. But they are different enough (and my EZ track oval is spotty enough) such that that didn't work very well. Between the three GPs I had, the GP35 was the noisiest and worst at achieving scale-ish speeds, so bit the bullet and pulled the motor and gears out, rendering it to a life of being pulled around by other locos "just for looks".
The good news is that it wears it well. "Helping" my GP9 pull a crane around in circles:
Tagging along with the GP40, where it will spend most of its time (the GP40 looks nicer leading a consist, doesn't it?):
And here is a little shot of the RR Empire we set up in the garage yesterday while waiting for the weather to clear up:
Chet, I always enjoy seeing your well-done Main Street scenes! Guess I'll dig out a few from my own archives...
This is a "mood" shot from my previous layout, some steel mill structures looming in the background as seen from an alley in a seedy part of town:
Here is what the front part of the foreground buildings looked like:
The parking lot surface was actually a painted slab of 2"-thick extruded styrene foam straddling a 2ft-wide aisle, only used for photo sessions. The blue sky background was also a propped-up 8x4 sheet of extruded foam that I used to hide shelves cluttered with hoarded junk...
Looking real nice Ken. Really nice scenes. Are you going to be able to install these in your new layout ?? I have thought about pitting up phone/power lines and they may still be on the menu, but I am sure that at one time or another, I'll get my big paw into them. Really like the chain link fence also. I have a Walther kit for the fence and all I need is a good swift kick in the butt to get it installed. I also have some lights for the yard area and street lights to put in.
The rest of the photos are really nice also. Garry always comes up with good ones and the new backdrop Dave installed makes so much of a difference. It really adds depth to the layout.
Looking real nice Ken. Really nice scenes. Are you going to be able to install these in your new layout ??
Chet, I was able to save most of the "non-earth" items; but I'll never be able to replicate any more scenes like the top photo. The old layout was an "island" type where I could get outside-looking-in angles to photograph certain scenes. The new one, OTOH, is an around-the-walls type where the scenes can only be viewed from one perspective. All things considered, it's much more op-session-friendly with its wider aisle spaces.
This was my weekend project. Atlas Dash 8-40BW undecorated. I'm really happy with how the small details came out. The broader paint scheme, though, wasn't that great of a success. I blame the paint that I used, mostly.
Ignore the puff paint and glitter glue off to the side. That was my wife's project.
I finally got around to weathering one of my new Bowser SD40-2 units.
Before.
After. (I think I need more dark grime . . . )
John Longhurst, Winnipeg
Looks good John. I do agree with a little more dark grime. Might try chalks.
Nice artwork above!!
Here's a Walthers caboose decorated for the Norfolk & Western Rwy.
Here's a old photo of my layout. a Milwaukee Loco is heading back to the yard.

Like the Milwaukee Road locomotive Greg.
Beautiful photo Crandell.
I had people whining

because the vehicles on my layout were too clean.

Told them that we had some teenagers doing a car wash.
That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)