Weekly Photo Fun 3-13/3-19

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


To continue with the "Blue" themed weekend. Here's the rest of the blue fleet finished off this week.

100_3555.jpg
 
Very impressive work, Jerome. You have a nice collection there. Waaaaay more patience and skill than I have. :(

-Crandell
 


Nice shots, Trent. Has that gritty coal mine look.

Jerome, if you tell me all those units also have DCC I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. :eek:
 
Jerome, if you tell me all those units also have DCC I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. :eek:

Jim,

Actually no, all 10 of the blue units this week are dummies. :) Mark is getting more and more of my units DCC'ed though. I'm really liking this DCC stuff LOL
 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a labor of love, that's for sure! I'm taking it to the NMRA meet today & letting them judge it. Hope they like it as much as Y'all did ;) As much work on the inside as outside too! The sound is great and with a new motor, U-joint kit and flywheel it runs as good as it looks! Here's a shot of the chassis after the mods:

GS-2Chassis1.jpg


I'll post some pics of the loco at work eventually! :D

Like the Hobbytown universals!

I do have one question though, is that a DaiYoung gearbox? It looks like one of theirs.
 
Like the Hobbytown universals!

I do have one question though, is that a DaiYoung gearbox? It looks like one of theirs.

CJ:

Nope! Good old faithful KTM 37:1 original equipment!

The NMRA guys up here fried me. :mad: I'm going to be in Birmingham next week (all week) helping with cleaning out my mother-in-laws house. I've asked the Captain if y'all would get together and host a Southern style Bar-B-Q if I bring it. Interested???
 


CJ:

The NMRA guys up here fried me. :mad:

Chicken or country?:D

If this concerns getting the engine judged, sorry to hear that. Its real hard to get points on a stock model, even with a major replacement of all or almost all the detail. The majority of points have always been in Construction, that is, what you built, how much you did and how well you did it. Paint, some detailing, and a remotor doesn't give ya much when you're starting with a brass steamer.


I'm going to be in Birmingham next week (all week) helping with cleaning out my mother-in-laws house. I've asked the Captain if y'all would get together and host a Southern style Bar-B-Q if I bring it. Interested???

Oh Yeah! Whatja bringing?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What did they say, if you don't mind sharing?

Well, that's one of the things that bugged me. They left no comments. In the interest of fair mindedness, I'm not going to reveal the point score. The reason for letting the SER judges have a look is that I have known them all for years and I trust their opinions. I don't know the fellows up here from Adam. Also, in SER judgings I have always gotten feedback. I got none at all here. I also did add some fabricated parts to the model, as well as changing a few things about it's original appearance. This did appear on my paperwork, though I got zero points for "parts fabricated by the modeler" Huh...:confused:

Anyhow, if the fellers in Birmingham feel the same, I'll swaller it and go forward. If there is a significant difference in points, well, that will be interesting. I'll bring the GS-2, and maybe one or two other toys...we'll have fun!

And CJ, they don't know the difference between chicken or country up here :rolleyes:
 
...
And CJ, they don't know the difference between chicken or country up here :rolleyes:

Maybe you oughta teach 'em!:D Bet they don' even know what country gravy is either!

We'll be happy to judge the loco for you Alan, as you very well know! You also know that we'll be fair and non-biased.
When I was CC here, I always told the modelers when getting a model ready for the contest, always assume the judges are the dumbest SOB's in the world. So you better tell them the how, why, when, and where on the model.
I also always told the judges they better read what the modeler said he did. How else could they judge it fairly, and objectively? I also made sure that if any points were taken away without a comment as to why, the judge better not take those points away!
 
Alan, you bring down your model and some Bar-B-Q fixin's and there's a whole bunch of us that will give you a fair and unbiased opinion of your engine. We are always fair and unbiased while we're eating. :)

Seriously, it doesn't sound like you got treated fairly. As you said, you did fabricate some new parts and repowering those old brass engines is no walk in the park. You'd think the outstanding repaint and decal job would be worth something all by itself. Like Josh said, the NMRA wonders why people don't participate in contests like they used to. Imagine what it would be like if you post pics here and everyone trashed your work mercilessly. It does happen like that at another unnamed forum and that's why we've gained a lot of members here. Every model can't be a contest winner but every model has at least one thing that deserves a little praise.
 
Jim,
Is it safe to say that if Alan also brought the beer you guys would be "unbiased biased"?

As an aside, this might make an interesting thread of it's own. In modelers opinions, and based on their experiences, just how "fair and unbiased" are judges and how consistant are the judging guidelines? I know nothing about it what so ever and have no plans on having anything judged, but I would be interested in hearing more on this.

Dan

“Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”
Winston Churchill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys, the moral support is great, and thanks, but in all fairness, here's what happened. I do custom painting both for fun and to pay for toys :D

I don't do much with NMRA contests, mostly because the division meets are pretty far from where I live, about an 80 mile round trip. In this instance our club layout was going to be on the division layout tour, and the model I was working on just happened to be finished. I was going to be in the neighborhood so to speak, so I decided to have it judged. It has been years since I did anything in a contest. They didn't really "fry me" so to speak, unless you count a very low (IMHO) point count. The things that bugged me about it were: no explanation, no comment of any sort. In previous contests I have gotten suggestions on how to improve the model, or things I should add. This time nothing. There was also no disrespect, no rude comments, or anything even remotely unprofessional.

It seems that there were things on my paperwork that were missed somehow. Having three judges miss the same things is weird, but I suppose it's possible. CJ and a few other friends of mine in Birmingham are involved with NMRA AP judging and I'm going to take the model as it was judged, along with a fresh set of paperwork, and let them have a look at it for their opinion. I'll also take the paperwork I submitted here & we'll compare everything afterward, as it is my job to explain what I did. You can't count on the judges being experts on what you're modeling.

It is possible that as a tempermental artistic type I overreacted :eek:, though I didn't get any input on what ever it was that they didn't like. Any modeler should be told what the problems were & be given input on how the model could be improved. What bugged me the most is that it's all a mystery :confused:. I don't intened to slam the NMRA here. I've been a member since 1992 and the core program is a pretty good one. My friends may have the same opinion of the model, and if they do, so be it. But they will tell me what is wrong, or what other things I need to do. All I'm after is an unbiased opinion that I trust.These guys are my friends & have been for years, but they'll cut me no slack (and I wouldn't want them to ;)).

The thing is we get lots of hours into these models, and when you put it out there and it doesn't do as well as you think it should, well, you're awfully emotionally invested, know what I mean? Too close to the situation:o

I'll let you all know what happens in round 2:cool:
 
A friend of mine used to be the TLR Contest Director (Curt Radunz), and he would never stand for a judging like that without suggestions on how to improve. I personally think whoever was judging musn't know what they're doing at all.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top