Weekly Photo Fun 3-13/3-19

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Gramps, that yard scene from the bridge is fantastic. The depth of field is, once again, outstanding. Even the blue reflections on the railheads reminds me of the real thing under a blue sky.

GGP, look out, the railroad cops are after that trespassing vehicle! :)

Ray, the coaling tower and yard look great. Amazing how adding all those small details really make the scenes come alive.

Crandell, about time you got some "real" locomotives on your layout. :) That 2-10-2 looks perfect on your broad curves.

Jeffrey, don't board up that gas station. You've got the start of an authentic Louisiana BBQ joint there. A little inside rearrangement and some tables and chairs outside and it would look just right.

Corey, that railroad and highway bridge combination should look great when it's all done. In theory, it should be easier to do the river at low water since you have more bank exposed, like where the people are standing under the bridge. That's easy to reproduce with some sand and fine ballast. It gives you some scenic opportunities for adding some picnickers and swimmers under the bridge. With high water, all you have is...well, water. :rolleyes:
John, very convincing orange crates. I like that shot inside the coach too.
 
I just love Saturdays :) Plenty of modelling time in between chores.

Not strictly part of the On30 module but connected to it when in the shed - the viaduct

added another 8 sheets of plasticard today, where does it all go ?

STA52442.jpg


STA52443.jpg


Then to help the future layer of concrete coloured filler to stick it has been given a coat of primer, and splash of colour. I dont plan on putting the coloured filler on till the hill is plastered up so the colour will help me live with the unfinnished look !

STA52449.jpg


STA52450.jpg


STA52451.jpg


This morning I woke up and decided I needed to thin my OO rosta to reflect the new modular, small train theme so after a trad in I came home with this beauty to bolster the On30 fleet

STA52456.jpg


STA52457.jpg


STA52458.jpg


In fact I like it so much I have swapped the decoder for the sound decoder I had in my OO crab :) It still needs a bit off tweeking on the CVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHBdFOE1o3g

John
 
Jeffrey, don't board up that gas station. You've got the start of an authentic Louisiana BBQ joint there. A little inside rearrangement and some tables and chairs outside and it would look just right.
Now there's an idea! I'll move it over by the Shell station on the main part of the layout and place the Bachmann machine shop where the station is now.
 


http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13013&stc=1&d=1237070985

This is the pride and joy (so far) of my layout. Took me almost a year to build with each piece of hemlock cut and stained by hand. Not only is it curved but also inclined. It's located at one end of my layout and spans a gorge with a creek running through it. My grandsons and the three boys from next door love to stand at the next to it and watch as a load of logs is hauled down from a logging site located further up. The deer I'm waiting for (see Local Hobby Shop Versus Internet) will go in the gorge.
DW
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Finished this little project today. Old Balboa Master Deries brass model. Re-detailed, remotored, Soundtraxx Tsunami and painted by me:

4415-5.jpg


4415-3.jpg


4415-4.jpg


4415-2.jpg
 
Dan, outstanding job on your trestle, I can't even imagine the time and patience it took to complete.

Alan, you have every right to be proud of that loco, great job.
 
Beautiful model Alan. Striking detail. I especially like the builder plate in the third pic. I'd like to see some pics of her hauling some freight.

Thanks.
Keith.
 
There's an old GE U-Boat getting cut down to a slug on the shop floor over at Fred's Locomotive Shop:

DSC05373.jpg
 


It's a "Blue" kinda weekend around here, so here's my contributions for the week.

Ex ConRail now GATX SW1500

100_3550.jpg


Ex ConRail now NREX SW1500

100_3549.jpg


Ex ConRail just out of the paint shop, still has the paper covering the windows.

100_3551.jpg
 
John, that's a real nice start on the viaduct and a real pretty new engine.

Dan, that trestle is a real work of art. I don't think I've ever seen a pony truss bridge incorporated into a wood trestle like that. If you never build anything else, you've done a lot more than most of us.

Dan, that engine looks way better than the day it left the factory. They were good looking engines when they first came out but ran like crap. I'll bet it's one sweet machine now.

V&AL, I'm glad to see another modeler with a clean and uncluttered workbench like mine. :D

Jerome, you will soon own every SW-1500 in the entire country. I think you already ahve the market cornered. Nice work as usual.

Jeffrey, you've got have a place for the guys at the machine shop and the truckers from the Shell station to eat. That gas station will be perfect with the right Southern touches. I can see it now, with a big pig shaped sign on top. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That engine (and your paint job) is a thing of beauty.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a labor of love, that's for sure! I'm taking it to the NMRA meet today & letting them judge it. Hope they like it as much as Y'all did ;) As much work on the inside as outside too! The sound is great and with a new motor, U-joint kit and flywheel it runs as good as it looks! Here's a shot of the chassis after the mods:

GS-2Chassis1.jpg


I'll post some pics of the loco at work eventually! :D
 
Jerome,

Nice paint jobs! :cool: Are you using the American Model Builders windows? I have just one suggestion for you: Detail Associates makes a neat little air rung bell that is correct for these switchers. They come two to a pack and you can replace that steam engine type bell with the right part. A little piece of brass wire for the air pipe and you're done. Best of all, it won't wreck your paint job. Here's what it looks like installed:

BS222.jpg


And a close up:

Bell.jpg


Let me know if you want the part number.

As you can see, I'm a fan of the Athearn BB switchers myself ;) I have a boatload of them. They're great to detail up & run. I buy them up from estate sales & so forth.
 


Jerome,

Nice paint jobs! :cool: Are you using the American Model Builders windows? I have just one suggestion for you: Detail Associates makes a neat little air rung bell that is correct for these switchers. They come two to a pack and you can replace that steam engine type bell with the right part. A little piece of brass wire for the air pipe and you're done. Best of all, it won't wreck your paint job. Here's what it looks like installed:

Alan, I have 100 or so Athearn BB SW's of all types now. I detail them up to different levels depending on what they'll be. Most of the dummies will just be static displays on the dead-line so they don't get the full meal deal.

On the other hand, the ones I plan to be runners get everything under the sun from Cannon & Co. walkway kits, A.M.B. window sets, DA and DW parts and then sent off to Mark for DCC and LED lights.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top