ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Debates Motel headed off this morning. Client's wife had this built for his layout as his Christmas present. Main building is 19" long and has 5 rooms along with the office. Addition has three rooms. Modeled to mimic the Bates Motel as the client has that model on his layout. O scale.
Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
This afternoon I built the hoist machinery house for the Cranberry Iron Furnace in S scale. Note the ornate brickwork which looks complicated but is just built up layers. The tube on the underside of the roof peak is the easy way to join two pieces which meet an a non right angle. Holes in the roof are where the cables exit the building on their way to the top of the hoist tower.
Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
On the machine shop today was mostly working on figures and details. Since neither a dustpan or hand broom is made in O scale both had to be scratched. The figure that I had in mind to operated the large lathe was finished out and installed, he also has a hand broom which he is using to keep the metal shavings off of the guides. He gives some sense of scale to this machine which is 16' long.
Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
Finished up a locomotive today...
Matt, good Lord, even more details? You must be stopped.
Josh, can you have Santa drop off that Southern locomotive at my house for Christmas. I'm glad he told you just what I wanted.
Jeffrey, nice tank car. Is that number patched or did it come that way?
Corey, nice scenes. That homemade set of crossbucks looks like what my poverty stricken shortline would have.
Jeffrey, nice tank car. Is that number patched or did it come that way?
It came that way. The car is an Athearn RTR offering. I dumped the McHenry couplers and put in Kadee #148's.
To those of you who have commented about my video, thank-you for your kindnesses.
Since I posted, several of you have really nice images of your own. GGP and kbkchooch on this page, for example...nicely done, fellas!
Jeff, back on page one, I like the steel roofed complex. It looks very good as you have arranged it and the tracks nearby.
-Crandell
Jeff, back on page one, I like the steel roofed complex. It looks very good as you have arranged it and the tracks nearby.
Just shows what can be done with a bunch of old buildings. That consists of a Model Power foundry, a Walther's carf barn {large structure) an dan old engine house serving as a machine shop.
I laid claim on more modern goodness
those BNSF Maxi IV's look great!! I need to get myself the 3 sets of KATO's and then get all 12 sets by Intermountain lol. Figure that should make a decent sized BNSF double stack train with 45 cars

Since I posted, several of you have really nice images of your own. GGP and kbkchooch on this page, for example...nicely done, fellas!
-Crandell
Thanks Crandell...Much appreciated.
Since I posted, several of you have really nice images of your own. GGP and kbkchooch on this page, for example...nicely done, fellas!
-Crandell
Thanks Crandell,
Here's another shot for your perusal! My favorite "dummy" engine, a Tyco Chattanooga Choo-Choo with a replacement tender! Looks great as a mid train helper! (shot from under the highway bridge)
Added the exhaust pipe and the alert whistle for the hoist cages to the hoist machinery house. Then got the piece weathered. It will be kept loose till the hoist tower is built to allow the cables to be threaded through the holes in the roof.
Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
Then lights and roof added to the stock room on the Texas & Great Plains machine shop. I really like the third photo, it looks like you are on a balcony looking down into the space, hard to tell that it is a model.
Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
Nice work on the hopper Josh, looks good as do the wheels

BTW, nice "graffiti" on the side in the last pic lol
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)