ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
MLW, good of you to comment, and I am especially glad you mentioned the 'stone'....'cuz that's what it is.
About the time I was scenicking this part of the layout, my sister-in-law, my wife, and I were walking on the beach below our property, but about 500 yards away. I noticed lots of rocks of many descriptions, many tiny, some weighing tens of tons. I saw this one shard and thought I could never copy that, but I bet I had a place to plunk it on the layout. The rest is as you see it. There is, of course, no moss, but it has the colours that must have attracted Sis-in-law, wife, and me to it in the first place, and I am the beneficiary.
I'd love to claim such great prowess, but I couldn't sleep at night....
Josh, you lucky dog. I never find deals like that. Three Ford trucks for a buck each. Geez.
Dan, I'd be thrilled with just the first level you already have. Pretty ambitious project. How the heck do you ever do the track laying standing on a step ladder?
Crandell, I'm always on the lookout for nice HO size boulders too. Unfortunately, not much granite down our way but I did find a few pieces of limestone to work into my one dinky hill and cut. That piece of yours was really well blended into the surrounding scenery.
Jerome, nice looking car and paint job. Just looking at those tiny decals in the picture gives me eyestrain, let alone trying to get them on and straight.
That's one of the best deals I've gotten in a long time. I saw them in a bin, the seller had not even gotten them out onto the table, and I grabbed them up, paid, and walked back to my table, in all of 2 minutes.
I then went back, and wandered their stuff once again, and noticed the Atlas tank car, but didn't buy it for about an hour... The A-line intermodal car came from them as well, but I bought that about an hour before the Ford tractors showed up!
So, I just picked up some Tamiya Cockpit Green, think it might make for a decent engine compartment green on EMD engines (*read* I plan to paint my EMD 567 in this color).
I ALMOST bought some Model Master Interior green, and I need a good brown & tan color as well, for the interiors of various locomotives. Also, noticed Taymia Flat Brown might make for a good UPS brown.
Anyways, photos of the EMD 567 later today, after I finish painting it.
My one and only Rio Grande tunnel motor. Still in operation on my railroad!
Someday Ill get PS and clean the pics up but for now, pay no mind to the background!
Got a lot done this weekend and with tomorrow off hope to keep working on it!
Looks like an Athearn also but maybe a Genesis unit. Hard to tell from the angles in the photos.
Chad, that first picture with the road is a nice start and shows you have a good feel for scenery. The next thing to do is go out and take some pictures of real asphalt roads. Use the pictures, along with paint washes and weathering chalks, to get the road to look more like the ones you see every day but never really look at. Don't forget striping and the white fog lines at the road edges. Visitors look at things like roads and it either looks real to them or emphasizes that it's just a representation of a road. You want one that looks as much like the real things as possible.
Josh, from what I can tell, that Rio Grande unit is a nice looking engine for the RTR line, especially compared to my original RTR GP-38-2. It seems that, at least from the detailing listed for these engines at the Athearn web site, it's not far off what I'd expect from a Genesis engine. I haven't looked at the RTR line for a while and I'm impressed. Your prime mover looks good. That green color pretty well matches the colors I saw on real 567 powerplants.
That is an Athearn RTR. That is the plow that came with it. There is a bag of additional detail parts yet to be installed. I have 2 RTR Tunnel motors and both look great IMHO. Athearn did a great job on the details.
Jim,
Thanks for the input. The road is a start but not done yet.
I agree it needs more work.
Dan, I'd be thrilled with just the first level you already have. Pretty ambitious project. How the heck do you ever do the track laying standing on a step ladder?
Heres my first attempt at really trying to heavily weather something...so I took a huge chance at weathering a brand new pure white ADM hopper...and well, i think it came out pretty well
Dan, I see now. Kind of like modular layouts but on shelving. That makes a lot more sense than trying lay track up on the second level. A topside creeper is a real back saver with a layout like yours.
Nate, good first try on the covered hopper. A little too heavy on the rust on some portions of the car but it looks like it's been on the road for a few years.