Weekly Photo Fun 1-21/1-27

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
P1011325.jpg
 
Very nice picture, Grampy!

Here is a Red Caboose kit I bought at a train show. After getting it home, I realized that somebody had started it already, and used almost a full bottle of CA on the handrails! It took some time to fix, but I think it ended up looking alright.

Keith

IMG_3555.jpg
 


Keith, I like your photo. Nice tank cars you have there. :)

I revisit a photo from last August, but with some added 'effects.'

Allegheny Summit

StacksignalEd5smokefinal2res.png
 
Looking good guys.

I got down to the layout last week and got skirting put around the whole thing.

BEFORE
050.jpg


AFTER
054.jpg


BEFORE
051.jpg


AFTER
063.jpg


I added more of the basic scenery in one area. This is what I got done that day.
094.jpg


A full post in the link below
 
Ron, your layout is looking good. The valance adds quite a bit to the presentation. I think the last time I saw your thread was when you were about to do all of the plaster work. Any chance on more of an update to your progress?
 
Great stuff so far Gents!
Ron that skirting sure "dresses" up the layout! (get it?)
Jay and Crandell... when are you guys coming by for a ballasting session? Always enjoy your trackwork.
I'll try to get some shots of the papermill later now that it's back up and running again...
 
Jeffrey, great job on your work caboose!
Grampy, another fine night shot!
Crandell, outstanding shot.

Here is mine for the week.

P1030914.jpg
 
In between work and out of town travel for work I've been able to get a few more cars done for the layout- the first I finished is another Milwaukee Road airslide from the Athearn model. I made the decals in Adobe Illustrator just like the first one I did- the difference is this car is from the first order of airslides the Milwaukee got in 1958. These cars had more narrow billboard lettering and block font reporting marks-

5379459694_bd386fe318_z.jpg


The next car is an old Con-cor 40' plug door PS-1 I got in an estate sale grab box- I stripped the PFE paint, and after some research, found a prototype photo of a PVYX lettered car. Once again I made the decals in Illustrator and added seperate ladders, tack boards, grab irons and steps.

5379459532_f7103be50c_z.jpg


The other two cars (a CNW flat and an MSTL hopper) are still waiting on final details- hopefully I be able to get those soon so they can be considered "finished"- thanks for looking!

Matt Holman
Spring, TX
 


In between work and out of town travel for work I've been able to get a few more cars done for the layout- the first I finished is another Milwaukee Road airslide from the Athearn model. I made the decals in Adobe Illustrator just like the first one I did- the difference is this car is from the first order of airslides the Milwaukee got in 1958. These cars had more narrow billboard lettering and block font reporting marks-

5379459694_bd386fe318_z.jpg


The next car is an old Con-cor 40' plug door PS-1 I got in an estate sale grab box- I stripped the PFE paint, and after some research, found a prototype photo of a PVYX lettered car. Once again I made the decals in Illustrator and added seperate ladders, tack boards, grab irons and steps.

5379459532_f7103be50c_z.jpg


The other two cars (a CNW flat and an MSTL hopper) are still waiting on final details- hopefully I be able to get those soon so they can be considered "finished"- thanks for looking!

Matt Holman
Spring, TX

Very nicely detailed. I especially like the PVYX car and the ACI label and lube labels. Now I'm going to look up what PVYX is.
Cheers.
 
Awesome stuff as always gang! :D Well, maybe except for Rico. The "dress" joke kinda "skirted" the limits of a good joke!:D

I know that usually gang, I post an occasional picture of one or more of my locos doing thier thing, but today, the pic is of a car. Not just any car, but a big PINK car. I missed out on the first run by Athearn, so I was tickled when I was able to pick up this one today at my LHS.

Not everyone knows this, but I dated my wife in 1979, but we went our separate ways after high school (Sr. prom pictures are on my web site) and neither marraige worked out. We got reaquainted a few years ago, and were married in September 2007. 6 months later she was diagnosed with breast cancer.:eek: Thankfully, it was caught early and now she is now cancer free, but it really brought the whole issue front and center in our lives. And since Athearn makes a donation to breast cancer research, getting one of these cars is a great way to increase you fleet while helping a very worthy cause.

The second run is out there now. Besides, your wife/mother/girlfriend/signifigant other or mistress can't yell at you for buying one of these. :D

breast%20cancer%20car.JPG
 
Nice modeling Guys!


Here a big "Stuttering Deck" three cylinder SP 4-10-2 holds the pass waiting for an opposing train on the Mount Hood Railroad in Portland Oregon. This big engine is outfitted with a middle cylinder attached to the second drive wheel and a booster on the trailing truck where the speed demons of the SP valley divisions....and the shop mechanic's worst nightmare. To understand how the third cylinder worked, watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTXYTvj0PBc&feature=player_embedded
 
Not much photogenic happening on the SLOW, so I just have a few of the 1/1 scale stuff. After getting permission from the FGLK to take photos from public property of their trains....... (I did ask them if they knew it was perfectly legal to take photos of anything from "public Property"???), I did chase a train today on its way to an interchange. I'm trying to get that perfect shot for another forum over across the pond...

FGLKEastJan03w.png


FGLKEastJan12w.png


FGLKEastJan13w.png


Hopefully next week I will have some new HO scale shots to share.....
 
Thanks to everyone who posted. It seems to get better each week.

Ray those 1:1 scale photos are superb. Made me smile to see the color scheme on the FGLK units. Except for the lettering it screams NYC. Does the FGLK have any history with the NYC before the Penn Central merger?
 
Ray those 1:1 scale photos are superb. Made me smile to see the color scheme on the FGLK units. Except for the lettering it screams NYC. Does the FGLK have any history with the NYC before the Penn Central merger?

Hi Mike,

The FGLK has only been around since the mid 90's. It began operation on July 23, 1995. The investors purchased 118 miles of mainline track previously known as the Geneva Cluster from Conrail. The main track from Syracuse to Canandaigua was the New York Central's Auburn Road which dates back to 1835. Other portions of the Finger Lakes Railway were once the Lehigh Valley (Geneva to Kendaia) and the Pennsylvania Railroad (Penn Yan to Watkins Glen).

The photos were taken this morning on what was at one time the NYC Auburn Road. The color scheme with the stripes are most definitely related to the old NYC. They actually have several schemes and a couple of patched locos that will remain in the colors they were in when they acquired them. One of my favorites is one basically in a Conrail Blue and stripes that now says "Finger Lakes Quality" on it. They have a couple new additions gotten last spring. I understand both will be left (for the immediate future) in this color scheme:

FLTG_SanteFe1w.png


Darn near drove off the highway staring the first time I saw it sitting at the edge of the yard...........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, thanks so much for the brief bio on the Finger Lakes RR. If any modeler needed a prototype reason for mixing all sorts of power from all sorts of places I believe you just helped their cause!! :)

Santa Fe colors this far East is definitely a Kodak moment.

Long live the FGLK !
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top