weekend photo fun Nov 30 to Dec 2

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ken, ... I hear the Canon inks stay brighter on decals though, especially the lighter colors, something the HP inks don't do well. ...

Jim, that's an interesting point! I tried printing yellow numbers on a dark blue background before [on some of my CSX loco models] and I wasn't really thrilled with the results. I thought maybe it was a function of the white decal 'paper' not being bright enough underneath the transparent yellow...?
 
Isn't that the truth! Bob needs to put a disclaimer in the signup section.



I think he is printing the grey as well on white paper. That is how he gets the white in the KCS logo. But I could be wrong. It is known to happen :D
That's exactly what it is. My printer doesn't print worth a crap on the clear decal film so I have the white background decal paper.
 
Believe me Fred, I've definitely agonized over those notches - they put me between a rock and a hard place <LOL>! Unlike the broad, flat areas that could simply be covered, the braces are a specific shape protruding outward. My options were:
(1) Totally discard the original sides and use Evergreen styrene sheet of the same thickness, with new strip styrene pieces of the proper length;
(2) grind away the original braces [from the existing sides] and install new Evergreen strip in their place; or
(3) attempt to fill-in the gaps with some sort of sculptable epoxy, such as J-B Weld.
Why not just use some Squadron Green putty and apply it with a knife, carefully to the gap. Obviously you would not be able to file over the rivets, if there are any.
 


P1010004-17.jpg
 
Jos that diarama of WW2 is amazing !! Looks like it was a pretty rough day on the water for the Torpedo Boat .
 
That's exactly what it is. My printer doesn't print worth a crap on the clear decal film so I have the white background decal paper.

Jeffrey, what kind of printer do you have? In theory, there's no reason why a printer should do better or worse on clear decal film. I find it's more difficult to apply decals printed on colored background since the whole thing has to come off in one piece instead of just your KCS letters, for example. I have found I need to use at least three light to medium coats of decal bonding spray to keep the ink from bleeding and keep larger decals in one piece on clear paper. Maybe you're not using enough decal bonding spray with clear background paper.
 
Jim, that's an interesting point! I tried printing yellow numbers on a dark blue background before [on some of my CSX loco models] and I wasn't really thrilled with the results. I thought maybe it was a function of the white decal 'paper' not being bright enough underneath the transparent yellow...?

Ken, I've found that either very light or very dark colors tend to change appearance from the decal sheet to the model. Light colors like yellow tend not to be dense enoug so the underlying color show through. Really dark colors, like dark green, are so dense with ink that nothing shows through and they tend to get darker. I made dark green "JOB PRINTING" letters for my Weekly Herald building and they look black on the building. I suspect that, without investing in an ALPS or some other type of micro dry printer, we just have to understand amd live with these limitations.
 
Jeffrey, what kind of printer do you have? In theory, there's no reason why a printer should do better or worse on clear decal film. I find it's more difficult to apply decals printed on colored background since the whole thing has to come off in one piece instead of just your KCS letters, for example. I have found I need to use at least three light to medium coats of decal bonding spray to keep the ink from bleeding and keep larger decals in one piece on clear paper. Maybe you're not using enough decal bonding spray with clear background paper.
I have an HP3930. When I try printing on the clear decal paper the ink cracks up as it's drying, even on the lightest (fast draft) setting and ends up looking like crackle paint. With the white background paper it does the same thing on 'Best' and 'Normal' settings but I can make a passable print on 'Fast Normal' and 'Draft' settings. The problem with that is that I have to print the background color also and matching it precisely is a real bear.
 
Jeffrey, I print decals at photo quality for best results. I think your decal paper maybe the issue more then your printer. I use Bare Metal Foil Decal paper for InkJet printers. Both in White and Clear with excellent results. I just use dullcoat to seal them before applying them. Micro Mark also sells some very good decal paper.

I had problems similar to yours when printing on walthers and micro scale papers. I found if I dullcoated the paper before printing, I got better results. Of course, you still need to dullcoat after printing as well.

You may be able to get away with printing the red lettering on clear paper, but to get the white writing on the KCS Logo, you will have to print on white paper. Try cutting the logo out along the red boarder on the logo and you wont have to worry about matching the grey.
 


I'll have to get someone to cut them out. My hands are too shaky.
Jeffrey, how about your friend David [can't remember his forum name] who lives nearby...?


I made my best attempt to fill-in the unwanted 'notches' on my covered hoppers. They look a little bit better than before, but I'm not entirely pleased with the results - no way can I ever make them look identical to the ones Athearn will be producing in a few months! :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
He helps me on some things, but his father is home for the holidays, so he isn't going to lose any time with him, nor would I ask him to. I can remember when I was young and my father was away in Thailand and Vietnam. I only saw him once in a while and couldn't get enough of his time being home before he had to go back.
 
Oh, OK, I get it now. I've only seen BTF 1 and found it to be a forgettable movie. :) OTOH, from the information on the Net, BTF took place in Hill Valley, not Hillside, so I don't think I have to find a place for the McFly's to live. I wouldn't mind having one of the Delorean's though. :D
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top