ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Here,
Josh --- allow me to repair that "earl" to
Pete Lawsons PDF
Thanks Ken, stupid line breaks...
Interesting concept. I don't know how they plan to get 2,300hp out of 6 cylinders but I'd like to see them do it.
They get 4400 out of a V12 in the Gevo's, so, half that is 2200, very plausible.
RBOX with a custom paper roll load:
Nice RailBox!
Been working on the layout today. The foundation walls for the north engine house are shaping up.
Jeffery, you are one busy guy. I wish I had 1/2 your ambition. LOL. What truly amazed me was when you mentioned all of this is in a house trailer. The steam engine static display next to the playground is a great idea!
Mike: Thank you for the compliment. The steam engine on display in the park was an idea the I had toyed with for several years. Originally I was going to use an Athearn Genesis 4-6-2. A modeler on another forum saw it and siad he wanted it and traded me a Bachmann Spectrum Pennsy K4 4-6-2 for it. That's what's in the park. Many people are surprised that the layout is in a trailer. What surprises the even more is that the trailer is an 8x25 and the layout is about 8x10. It takes up almost all of the front half of the trailer yet I can reach all parts of the layout even though some of those require a bit of a stretch. To reach the back side of the layout I have two pop-up access holes. One is a lift out section (the park) and the other is a drop out section (Shell station scene). I've worked on the layout off and on since 1995. In that time I've redone it twice.
Got a good setup on a night shot and took it.
Got this shot of an SD40-3 while I was in town. I can't find it on the KCS roster we have on my forum.
A former SD45 too. Was it originally built for the KCS?
I'm pretty sure it was built for another road. As I understand it was originally built as an SD45. This loco used to be in the KCS 600 series but was recently renumbered. If I knew the exact number it had in the 600 series I could get it's history. Later it was modified to an SD40-2. Not too long ago it was modified to an SD40-3. It had to have came from the CSX, BN or CNW.
Interesting that they kept the radiator wings.
As I see it keeping the radiators as they were wouldn't present a problem as they were intended to cool a 20 cylinder prime mover and the loco was refitted with a 16 cylinder prime mover.
Interesting that they kept the radiator wings.
As I see it keeping the radiators as they were wouldn't present a problem as they were intended to cool a 20 cylinder prime mover and the loco was refitted with a 16 cylinder prime mover.
I'd assume, with all SD45 to SD40-2 rebuilds, its far cheaper to keep the larger radiator core, then it would ever be to remove and rebuild that whole section.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)