Weekend Photo Fun 11-7/11-10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ray, very nice looking milk car. Just to show my ignorance of milk train operations, what's a Reeder?

V&AL, those are some fine pictures of the prototype and models together. You've sure got all the detailed pictures to produce an accurate replica of 2158. The weathering job should be interesting, especially reproducing that Santa Fe logo coming through the paint.

Alco, I've been looking at those UP double door express cars and thinking about picking up a couple too. They were still in common use in the Challenger scheme in the late 60's on UP passenger trains out of LA. During the holiday rush, you'd sometimes see 6 or 7 on the head end of the lesser name trains headed east.

Jeffrey, you're confused. A "B" unit, by definition, is one that either has no cab or no cab controls. The position of two "A" units relative to one another in a train didn't change the "A" designation. They'd simply be the first unit, second unit, etc.
 


Jim- it's gonna be a tough call to weather those units or not...
as far as the Santa Fe lettering just barely visible, it's already been taken care of... the models started life as high-nose AHM GP-18's... in Santa Fe colors! The fans were changed on the top to make 'em GP-7's.

Some of the photos are of the 2190 as well, just the sun was in the way to get any good ones with the numbers showing. The C&A kept the original ATSF numbers when they bought the units.

Thanks y'all for the compliments!
 
Just working 2 for 1 on the railroad.
P1010165.jpg
 
Another great weekend thread. Great stuff guys! Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

GrampysTrains; That's a great shot :eek: Wow
johntealon30: Very nice as usual. Your spoiling us :D
rhoward: really like your switch stand. Great layout too. Can we see more:)
V&AL: That's awesome. :eek:
icon14.gif

NYW&B: Nice shot. Like the backdrop too :o





.
 
Great Work Guys! Man I need a layout!

Heres my small contribution.

First here is my organized workbench.

IMG_2586.jpg


Don't you just love my drying stand! (Or Drill Press if the occasion calls for it!)

I finally got to the hobby shop and picked up a new tap! Im locking this one away! That should keep those tool gremlins out! I should be finishing up both of the Coke Cars I have now. After this weekend I should have everything done except weights (any suggestions on this front?), and I was thinking of putting car detail decals on the cars and maybe numbering them somehow...not sure what I would number them?

Oh and I will need to weather them to get that toy train shine off of them...but a couple of coats of dull coat and a little airbrush time will fix that. But that will have to wait till I have a better airbrush. Everyone of my rolling stock cars that I make for my future layout has a little post it note in the box describing my evil plans for that car. Its a great way of keeping track of current thoughts but it still can derail.

I also started two more re coupling and re trucking projects so I should have a lot finished this weekend.

I will post more pics soon, and maybe a video of these going around my dinning room table "layout" If I get time. :)
 


Boy, you sure can tell that the modeling season is upon us. FANTASTIC work by all this week!!

If you are foloowing the 'Circus Train' thread, you have seen the start of my Ringling train. I'm starting with some old Walthers wood and stamped metal kits. They offered five of the different configurations for the cars Ringling converted for circus use. Here are my works in progress, demonstrating those five variations;

Advertising Car # 1 --(Stiill needs to have the roof details and end -of-roof contours sanded, grabs, etc,...)

RBBB_1_a.png


Tunnel Car # 20 --

RBBB_20_a-1.png


Animal (stock) Car # 30 --

RBBB_30_a-1.png


Generator Car # 47 --

RBBB_47_a-1.png


Performer/Employee Car # 43 --

RBBB_43_a-1.png


I'm altering the kits a little here and there such as adding see-thru grills and the like, subsituting for cast parts. Hope you enjoy!

Once again, GREAT WEEKEND thread!!

Johnny
 
Amazingly fine passenger cars you have there! Very nice. What a consist they'll make. :D

I don't normally do this, but I have decided that I am not all that keen on my earlier version of this image, the faded look, so I am re-posting what I feel is one that I like better...less faded, wider view.

IMG_3752csharpadj2r.png
 
Amazingly fine passenger cars you have there! Very nice. What a consist they'll make. :D

I don't normally do this, but I have decided that I am not all that keen on my earlier version of this image, the faded look, so I am re-posting what I feel is one that I like better...less faded, wider view.

QUOTE]

That photo is very lifelike....way to go!!! What scale are you modeling in?? Sorry, just can't tell.
 
Thanks very much, power street service!! :)

It is HO scale. The yard is effectively 5 feet long, and the camera is set about half a foot away from the "west" end of it.

Cheers.

-Crandell
 
NYW&B, I haven't seen once of those dry ice cars in decades. Is it one of the original Ambroid kits or another model? Great work building it.

Gredind, I'll trade you my messy workbench for your drill press. :) Easiest way to weight tank cars is with bullet style fishing weights. Just super glue a few to the bottom and you're done. For a fantasy car like those Coke tankers, why waste a good dimensional decal set? Just run 'em like you've got them painted.

Johnny, just seeing all the circus cars you have in the background is amazing let alone all the work you've done on the new ones. My hat is off to you.

Crandell, I liked both photos but the first one's border was kind of distracting. Those low angle, wide shots look better when you show all the real estate.

PSS, Crandell's all HO. Pretty amazing work, isn't it?
 
Boy, you sure can tell that the modeling season is upon us. FANTASTIC work by all this week!!

Aw! well guess I was always getting things a bit backward :rolleyes:

My CB&CNS at present

Cheers Willis
 
Jim, thank-you. Like you, I am not so sure about those masks...sometimes they look good to me, but their half-life seems pretty short. I should probably limit their use to sepia or b&w shots from now on....even then, sparingly.

I am pleased to receive your feedback; as long as I am fooling around, it is important to learn of the impact of the various changes I make. Thanks, again. :)

-Crandell
 
Willis, looks like the empire is expanding nicely.

Crandell, at least you know how to do those mask things. I'm lucky to get a picture uploaded. :)

Josh, those well cars almost make me wish I was modeling the modern era.
 


Josh your weight scale must be way off as I weighed the Kato set I have and here is what I get. A unit 2.9oz B unit 3.3oz C unit 2.7oz As a comparison I weight the Atlas stand alone Gunderson car and it was 1.4oz in weight
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top