mtrpls,
I understand where your coming form with the compatability thing but I stated in my original post "but will always have kadee's on hand in case I want to operate with somebody else" I feel that the sergent couplers are far more accurate than the Kadee couplers. They do require more work to actually couple them, but I am aiming for realistic operation not easy coupling. I am willing ot stop my train to line the couplers up, and when uncoupling give the train some slack. I think Americans are becoming to lazy if they cannot move a coupler to the right position in order to couple a train.
-Smoke
Yes, and you've inadvertently proven my case of why Kadee-compatible couplers (herein referred to as simply Kadee) are superior for operation: they are the STANDARD, and the last thing the model railroad community needs is a division in coupler types.
I guess we have different ideas of what "operation" is. From your post, it looks as if operation to you is aligning the couplers as per the prototype practice. There is nothing wrong with that, and I don't consider myself lazy just because Kadee couplers happen to center. In fact, I would enjoy the challenge of aligning couplers and, truth be told, I never take advantage of Kadee's magnetic uncoupling abilities.
FOR ME, operation is the ability for my rolling stock to run with all of my friends', whether in a club layout setting or virtual interchange where I mail some cars to them, and they mail some cars to me. You've seen our club layout, and especially the hump yard. At times, everyone's own rolling stock is intermixed with everyone else's rolling stock, you wouldn't be able to tell who owns what. Kadee is the standard in this hobby, period, and if you operate in a larger context like I do - you need INTEROPERABILITY. It is crucially important that all of my rolling stock has a compatible coupler system to those I operate alongside with, and Kadee is the
undeniable standard in the hobby.
I suppose Sergents would make a great choice if you operate in isolation, or lived on a desert island somewhere, or never allowed your rolling stock to float onto another layout, or allow someone else's rolling stock to be hosted on your own layout. But if the world is bigger than your own model railroad, it is absolutely critical that you have the Kadee coupler system. And the idea of a "transition car" in an operating session is foolish, in my opinion. If a layout has, for example, an active hump yard and you are classifying cars into trains in a random order - how would a transition car even come into play? It would definitely interrupt with the natural, random and organic composition of trains. Imagine having to classify an entirely new train, and cars in the yard had both Kadee couplers and Sergent couplers. A transition car would come in handy if you are putting cars in a predetermined and specific order, but that is not operation: that is putting your train on the track and watching it run around in circles.
Don't misunderstand me; I am not arguing that Kadees are better than Sergents. I am merely a proponent of a standard coupler type within the hobby. If it was reversed, and Sergent was the undeniable standard in the hobby and Kadee was a newcomer, I would most certainly argue that Sergents should remain the standard. Sergents are a nice looking coupler, and I own some myself. They are great to look at, but have no place in my operating fleet.
It's truly sad that Sergents and Kadee's can't mate, because then this wouldn't be an issue at all.