Weekend Photo Fun 1-02/1-05

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Okay, a few more pictures.

Close up of one of my new reefers. I really don't want to weather it, but that's the way of the road.
n116400015_30281752_7169.jpg


Action shot.
n116400015_30281759_9279.jpg


I got a decoder installed into my GS-4. I fried a very expensive decoder yesterday, today things went a little smoother. I'm not sure what fried the decoder as everything was hooked up right, and the motor was isolated. The decoder got extremely hot however, I'm glad I didn't have the shell on. Digitrax should repair/replace it for the though right?
n116400015_30281751_6817.jpg


And one last extreme close up.
n116400015_30281753_7468.jpg
 
Aytrane. you should check the roof on that reefer. It (and the car ends) are not securely seated on the car body. It may be slightly cokceyed and just need to be push down a little. It should snap when it's on correctly. Nice job on the ice hatches though - I hate those things. :)

Don't know what fried the decoder but it happens to all of us. Digitrax will replace for a nominal fee.
 
Happy New Year!

Great stuff, nice variety.....

Caught the MadCoW moving one of the newly painted Ringling cars today. This is the generator car, on the way to another shop for final detailing........

3.png


1.png


2.png


Happy Modeling....

Johnny

Awesome looking car!! Were you working on this a few months ago looking for mesh screen to cover the generator area? If so what kind of generator did you use? I've been looking for one to use on my jordan spreader. I've seen some overland brass ones with a small generator on the rear.

Also, anymore RBBB cars?
 


MLW, in HO all Chooch makes are details like loads and tunnel portals. Their Ultra Scale line is limited to building fronts (and one or two backs) in O scale. For sidewalls they sell a solid sheet of resin brick wall without any openings. I find that it works fine for sides that you do not want windows/doors in but is too thick to easily cut multiple openings in. Thanks for the compliment on my scratchbuilding, I do this full time for clients all over the country in everything from HO to F.

Hathaway I am also building the roads/sidewalks for this area of the city for the client, when these buildings are closer I will shoot a picture of them on the base.

Matt
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My 1st and oldest locomotive.

GN.3207 a veneble Rivarossi premier model is coming out of retirement,origlnally purchased in 1976 this engine went to stored servicable in 1984.Is now going into the heavy repairs shop to be upgraded in the coming months with a new can motor and DCC and will once again see service on the high iron.

GN3207-1.jpg
 
Hmm, the roof seems to be down as far as it will go. I just tried clamping it more, but nothing moved. The picture creates a shadow that makes it look like it isn't down all the way, but I could be wrong. The hatches were a huge pain in the ass, but they look nice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome looking car!! Were you working on this a few months ago looking for mesh screen to cover the generator area? If so what kind of generator did you use? I've been looking for one to use on my jordan spreader. I've seen some overland brass ones with a small generator on the rear.

Also, anymore RBBB cars?

I believe the guy looking for screen was me... I wound up using wedding veil ($6 at wallmart!)

I used a Lifelike "generator load" for my generator car and modified the supposed "generator" (it's really just a diesel engine on a skid.) problem is, it might be a tad large for a Jordan Spreader...

before and after pics of the Generator:
DSC05160.jpg


Completed project, minus paint: (hmm... I need to upload pics of the trainshow with the painted car...)
DSC05173.jpg
 
mdcustom

Roger that! And you are a pro! HA! It shows too:D

Please share more of your work
 


AyTrane, that's not a shadow. Notice how the brown piece over the door isn't all the way down? The roof should be flush with the sides. Athearn reefers had problems like this. Sometimes it's a bit of flash that has to be cut off, other times the roof/side section was warped. Take that roof off and look for any flash or non-smooth areas. If it's sitting on a level surface, notice if the car ends look bowed out. If so, you'll need to glue and clamp it on each side to straighten it out.
 
Also spent some time working on the Deadwood Smelter project. This one is being built with full interior detail for entry at the Narrow Gauge National Convention in Colorado Springs this September. There is a full build thread in the Structures forum.
 
Awesome looking car!! Were you working on this a few months ago looking for mesh screen to cover the generator area? If so what kind of generator did you use? I've been looking for one to use on my jordan spreader. I've seen some overland brass ones with a small generator on the rear.

Also, anymore RBBB cars?

I think your thinking of someone else that was doing a generator for a passenger/excursion car. I used a generator load from Life-Like, very nice for these applications.

I do have a lot more RBBB cars to come. Keep in mind that I'm freelancing a train using prototypical practices to create my models. I should have another pic or two this weekend yet.......

Johnny
 
mdcustom Sweeeet!!:eek: Thanks for the link. I realy like the company house. Great stuff:cool:
 
Jeffrey, is that an attempted paint stripping job that left the lettering behind?
Yes. The modeler I got it from immersed it in brake fluid for several hours. It stripped the paint but left the details so he just left it like that. I've had similar things happen when using alcohol.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top