weekend photo fun 01/08/08

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


This time in better light!

MVC-805F.jpg


MVC-810F.jpg


MVC-809F-1.jpg


Jim, you might be right. I think I had too much white in the background, and maybe too much light.

Airslide...the load started as a Bud Light box, cut to fit, then I added Life-Like coal glued to the cardboard for a load.
 
Looks better in natural sunlight, Rotor. Somehow, it just seems odd to see that big BN logo on a black car. :)

Thanks, Airslide. The Merchant's Row series gets a bad rap because it's so common but some good painting and detailing, as well as placing it in the right scene, makes it blend right in to almost any downtown.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Entries are looking good.
Don't know if control panels qualify for Week-end-photo-fun but thought I would throw them in the mix. Just started the one this morning. Waiting for more miniature switches.
 
Anyone that can put that many wires together without causing a fire deserves a spot in the WPF for sure. :) I really like the way you integrated the control panels with the Digitraxx controller. Looks way better than mine sitting on a cardboard box.
 
Jim... looks like Burt Reynods shoulda gone the other way!!

Here's my E33-2. All it needs now is a bit of black paint on the joints and the filler styrene, and the couplers back on and she'll be ready for service. I think my next one will be an "Eastern Snoot" where the nose is lowered but not shortened. We'll see how that goes in a while...

DSC04701.jpg


DSC04703.jpg


DSC04704.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting laid off from my job on August 22nd. I have a huge list of projects I would like to do there before I leave. One was a new drive for one of my favorite but worst running engines. It is an MRL SD40-2XR built originally about 11 years ago from a RailPower frame and shell. I cut a fuel tank from an Athearn SD40-2 and spliced it into the railpower frame. I had to fabricate a motor mount for the Athearn motor and I could never get it work right and that particular motor wasn't one of Athearn's best. So anyway, I got a can motor from MicroMark for $13, made a new motor mount and flywheels and hex style drivelines and now it works great. It has a NCE decoder and a working strobe. The light wiring harness is made from part of a Digitrax decoder harness.
261drive.jpg
 


I just got back from a great vacation. I missed a lot of great stuff you guys did, but I got a lot done. I'll post most of the progress on my thread in my signature below.

Here's just a quick taste of what got done.

A weathered warehouse.
From this...
100_3243.jpg


To this.
100_3374.jpg


A weathered warren truss bridge and city viaduct installed.
100_3282.jpg


And a lot of cardboard terrain and the fascia installed.
100_3384.jpg



This was my temporary workbench during the vacation. NOTE: the ice cold beer (usually not present on the bench at home), and also this was only a 1/2 block from the beach at the Jersey shore... with beautiful weather 95% of the time.
100_3274.jpg


Now that's a vaction...AAAaaahhh.:D

I'll have a lot of videos and pix in my progress thread.
 
V&AL, I like the low nose/numberboard look.

Smoke, I think I had that same AHM PC boxcar at one time. Good grief, I had forgotten how gross the details were on that thing. :) What kind of C of G engine and who made it? It looks like an SD-35 but the high nose always throws me off. It's actually a really nice weathering job.

Paul, that sucks that you're getting laid off. I hope you have other prospects. Very nice kitbash, or, should I say, complete rebuild, on that engine. How does it look with the shell on?

Ron, the warehouse and bridge are coming along very nicely. The weathering on the bridge looks particularly good. I think I probably would have spent more time in the ocean than you but vacations are to do what makes you happy. :) I'm assuming the cardboard and fascia work were a before vacation project. I'd be too tired to do it after a vacation, when I always need to rest up for a few days. :D
 
Ron, the warehouse and bridge are coming along very nicely. The weathering on the bridge looks particularly good. I think I probably would have spent more time in the ocean than you but vacations are to do what makes you happy. :) I'm assuming the cardboard and fascia work were a before vacation project. I'd be too tired to do it after a vacation, when I always need to rest up for a few days. :D

Thanks,
The layout work was at my Dad's house. The vacation house was closer to my Dad's then my house, so I snuck away a couple time and did some work there. If I had it my way I would have spent the whole 2 weeks at my Dad's working on the layout.;) Sand and me don't agree.:mad:

There was a glimmer of hope for the future... the last day we were at the beach house my wife mention that for the next vacation I could go to my Dad's for a week and her and the kids would be at the beach (1hr away). We could meet up every couple days and then go back to what each other likes to do. I was on that idea like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm.:D YES, this was HER idea... and I'm holding her to it.:p
 
Myowngod, where in jersey? i was at sea isle last month.

I might be able to get a few pics of the latest aquisitions. 5 atlas u34ch's in NJDOT/EL and NJ transit.
 
Myowngod, where in jersey? i was at sea isle last month.

I might be able to get a few pics of the latest aquisitions. 5 atlas u34ch's in NJDOT/EL and NJ transit.

I was in Holgate, the south end of LBI. My Dad's layout is in Mayslanding.
 
Check my kitbashing in this thread: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=89684#post89684
But I will give you a sneak peek, with more pics in the thread (didnt wanna double post):
I submit for your viewing, a kitbashed SD70M-2. Made from a Athearn Genesis Sd75I chassis, and shell, with a RPP SD90MAC flare kit and DB fan, and a RPP SD60M cab. The overbright pics are to show some definition of the cab nose and the radiator section, sorry, but my camera sucks:
sd70m-2b.jpg



And a AC4400 converted to a ES44AC:
ac4400-es44ac_a.jpg
 
Just been doing a little mr work today. The rolling stock from my newly acquired Athearn set looked too clean, so I weathered them a bit with alcohol and black acrylic treatment.


P1010077.jpg



P1010078.jpg



P1010079.jpg



P1010081.jpg
 
15690006.png

my weathering project completed - minus the wheels of course..

15690007.png

fencework..

15690008.png

two new aqusitions

15690012.png

some railfaning from the car

15690020.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:


...
Paul, that sucks that you're getting laid off. I hope you have other prospects. Very nice kitbash, or, should I say, complete rebuild, on that engine. How does it look with the shell on?
...

Jim, Do you know anyone needing an out of work model maker? It is not like the layoff was unexpected, I actually thought it was going to be last Feb. Anyway, you can look for my name in the credits of 'Coraline' when it comes out in Feb '09.

Here is an old shot of 261 leading a helper set. This is one of my all time favorite model shots I have done.

060408_007_2copy.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top