ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
All my wheel sets are done seperately from the trucks. I'll do 6-8 pair of wheels at one time, each batch using a different techniques and colors. Those just happened to end up being similar in colors. It's all experimental at this stage.
hey rotor. i have the same challenge with lighting and photos. i don't have a great camera so i'm putting a digital SLR on my Christmas list again this year. while going outside can easily solve the lighting problem, getting close in on details is impossible with a point & shoot.
Airslide you don't need an expensive camera to take quality photographs.. Although I'm a professional photographer and use an SLR all the time, the majority of my modelling photography is actually done with a 5MP point & shoot camera. The reason for this is that the camera I use has a Super Macro mode on it (looks like a little flower symbol with an S) for real close up photography, the particular camera I use you can go as close as 1cm which is great at picking out the slightest of details.
If I do use the SLR for model photography, I use a 300mm zoom lens from around 4-5ft away..
A good macro lens and associated macro flash will cost you somewhere in the region of $1000-$2000, which is a huge outlay for model photography, there really is no need when there's good quality 5-8MP point & shoot cameras out there for under $100. That and good lighting is all that's needed...
That all said, I know you really want an SLR for the rail fanning lol...
thanks for that info - i will definitly try that and look for that setting on my point and shoot. i was really into photography when i was in high school - but that was when a sony walkman and the canon AE1 with a motor drive was the height of technology. the fully automatic SLR age completely got away from me..and you're right - the digital SLR would really be for 1/1 scale more than anything..
No problem Airslide.. Although I'm a Cannon man through & through, my insta is an Olympus & the reason I bought it was simply because of the super macro feature & it was within budget (< $75)..
Most modern cameras have a macro setting which gets you down to about a shot distance of around 12"-18" but not all have the super macro setting.. It really is worth doing a little bit of research and checking the camera specs on-line before spending your hard earned cash...
looking good rotor...i may try to do something like this, just as a staging area for all my weathering projects. diefintily interested in seeing your progress.
I really like what you've done here on this one. I realize it's been completed, but if I may offer a couple of observations...
The rusted rim looks a little too glossy, is that the black or the rust? Maybe some powder there? Also, left side has an upper panel (upper left of reporting marks) that is a dead match for the faded red primer color on the prototype. Do this to that whole section and I think you nail it.
You need to change the data board for a double one though if your doing an exact copy.. I just ordered some of those myself today from Microscale lol...
Gen and scord - thanks for the feedback...it is always welcomed and appreciated. i caught all of those things and others that i would have done differently...the color on the A side was a really sore spot...i contemplated for almost a week as to whether i should start over to get the color closer to the proto, lol. since i dont have a layout weathering projects, prototype and freelance, is how i stay involved with the hobby. for me modeling season is fall/winter, so ill be getting back into it real soon. so time to order supplies (wheelsets, kadees, decals etc.). i have couple of projects to finish - mainly BB kit boxcars. and i havent decided yet on my next replication. but rotor has me inspired to build a staging area...too many ideas and not enough time - lol.
Hey rotor - you ever check out any of the layout tours in Oct and Nov? i see there are some open houses down in your neck of the woods.
Airslide... I haven't checked out the tours, and I should. I've heard there are a couple nice layouts around here.
And I probably won't be able to do the tours this year, as I'm in the process of opening a new slot car center/ hobby shop in PTC. I'll be pretty busy starting this week!
BTW... go for building your staging area! You might even power it so you can run some trains!
lol - i agree. while i have more than enough space for a full sized layout relatively speaking (20X26'), im not sure how long we are going to stay in this house. HOPEFULLY the market will have rebounded to some degree within the next 5 years and we will sell for something bigger...thats when i will begin work on the master plan i.e. generous switching oportunities, full length continously running trains, the whole 9 yards. i would hate to start a layout now and have to move it...the thought alone gives me chills. however, i am seriously considering a shelf/modular/staging area and may work on it this winter - during modeling season..