Weathering Trucks and Wheels

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


wheeler1963

Wheeler's Trains
I was asked about weathering trucks and wheels on freight cars. I've put together a tutorial on how I do mine. So without further ado.....

Here's the trucks and metal wheel sets fresh out of the box.

100_4842.jpg


First step on the trucks is a coat of Floquils grimey black.

100_4846.jpg


Here's the trucks and wheel sets painted with rust. The trucks and the 8 wheel sets got Floquils rust. The other 4 wheel sets got sprayed with a custom mix of Floquils rust/orange for that fresh light rust color.

100_4856.jpg


And here is the 6 completed truck assemblies. The axles with the bright rust colored wheels have the bearing caps painted with Floquils ConRail blue to simulate new bearings installed.

100_4857.jpg
 
Nice, Jerome, an easy way to weather trucks that would look good on even a relatively new locomotive.
 


Nice work Jerome! Pretty much the same process I use. Though I sometime skip the grimy black and rust spray and opt for a thin (75% thinner 25% paint) coat of some tan or brown.

I'm gonna try your method too, for some variance in my trucks...
 


Thank you Jerome, I will put your work to good use and make my stuff look that much better. When I get a few cars done, I will post the befores and after to get your opinion.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top