ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
That's looking pretty good already, can't wait to see how this progresses.
Thanks Chris. I can never really tell until I add Pan Pastels to tie everything together. I am always unsure when I just do a brush, but you do what a client wants or say no.
Thanks Chris. I can never really tell until I add Pan Pastels to tie everything together. I am always unsure when I just do a brush, but you do what a client wants or say no.
I'm really intrigued as to how this will differ, if at all, to your usual technique of weathering.
Looking good Tom, thanks for keeping the thread going.
Looking good Tom, thanks for keeping the thread going.
I’m trying but Summer is travel season for us. I have quite a few projects to finish by 8/15 but only 5 are locomotives. If the weather stays hot, smokey or raining, I will get a lot done!
I’m trying but Summer is travel season for us. I have quite a few projects to finish by 8/15 but only 5 are locomotives. If the weather stays hot, smokey or raining, I will get a lot done!
I don't do much train stuff once the weather gets nice, summer is too short. About the only thing I do is get supplies for when I start up in the fall.
I don't do much train stuff once the weather gets nice, summer is too short. About the only thing I do is get supplies for when I start up in the fall.
My skin is adverse to the sun because of the medicines I take. So I do get to spend sometime at the bench to stay out of the sun and humidity of Wisconsin. When I golf in the Summer, I am covered up and use the sun blockers, I hate that! I used to love the Summertime, now I prefer Spring and Autumn for outdoor time.
Some time spent at the bench allowed for some more progress on UP 9807.
Some touch up to do. Need to add a sandy color of dust on the fuel tank and trucks. The stack needs darkening to almost black. I need to add the shades and find a plow. Good prices online for the parts but spending like $7 for parts and 18 for shipping is not going to happen. Somehow I would like to squeeze a quick trip to the LHS today. I can scratch the sunshades but I am not even going to try a plow. I did check Athearn and no matching plow in stock.
Here are the railings still on a sprue for UP 9807. Pictures don’t show how little grime/rust I left on. I used the dab on wipe off technique. They will show up better when applied to the Locomotive
Vallejo Panzer Aces #302 dark rust 40% water 60% paint
Yes, the bench is a bit messy. I am trying to get things done and also pack up the rest of the shop area for the move. The bench is becoming a catch anll and I have trouble working. Clean up is coming this morning
Some time spent at the bench allowed for some more progress on UP 9807.
View attachment 171275View attachment 171276View attachment 171277View attachment 171278View attachment 171279View attachment 171280View attachment 171281
Some touch up to do. Need to add a sandy color of dust on the fuel tank and trucks. The stack needs darkening to almost black. I need to add the shades and find a plow. Good prices online for the parts but spending like $7 for parts and 18 for shipping is not going to happen. Somehow I would like to squeeze a quick trip to the LHS today. I can scratch the sunshades but I am not even going to try a plow. I did check Athearn and no matching plow in stock.
Top notch modelling
the aging on the undercarriage is superb
are you going to black smoke the roof exhaust. You say some touch up still to do
the effort and eye for detail screams out love it
sre the horns meant to be brassy
running before you skin me alive…. Voices fades…. L o v e. I t ……..
Top notch modelling
the aging on the undercarriage is superb
are you going to black smoke the roof exhaust. You say some touch up still to do
the effort and eye for detail screams out love it
sre the horns meant to be brassy
running before you skin me alive…. Voices fades…. L o v e. I t ……..
You know better to even say I’d skin you alive. We will just will kick the backside down the road. Good to have you back, JazzA.
Yes, I just made a note to do more black around the exhaust
Some of the touch ups didn’t work out. The client wanted a more desert sand grime along the fuel tanks and side frames of the wheelsets. I guess we disagree on what color sandy grime is.
Not good no pictures! For $.99 a month Apple will give me more ICloud space. My pictures today are not accessible from this IPad. I will be back later or rather Sunday 7/16/2023. I am going to move pictures around
You know better to even say I’d skin you alive. We will just will kick the backside down the road. Good to have you back, JazzA.
Yes, I just made a note to do more black around the exhaust
Some of the touch ups didn’t work out. The client wanted a more desert sand grime along the fuel tanks and side frames of the wheelsets. I guess we disagree on what color sandy grime is.
Not good no pictures! For $.99 a month Apple will give me more ICloud space. My pictures today are not accessible from this IPad. I will be back later or rather Sunday 7/16/2023. I am going to move pictures aroundo occurs ue
What no pictures yet sad face greedy pigs
removes padding from bum area and saunters off
What no pictures yet sad face greedy pigs
removes padding from bum area and saunters off
Have not worked in it. Play time, golfing has cut into my leisure time
Good Saturday afternoon. I received a surprise this morning from the USPS. With permission from a to be unnamed member here on the Modelrailroadforums.com I can post these.
5 diesels to be weathered and I can show the process as I feel.
Good thing I am on the last couple days of UP 9807
98% finished
I am so tired of this machine and I’m almost there. Trying to get to what the client finally wanted has been a chore but just defining what he wanted was a tough one. He sent me pictures of a medium weathering job of a similar Locomotive around 2009 but not a good picture. I found pictures of UP 9807 and sent them to him. Specifically sending him the more grimy pictures. Nope wanted a rust bucket!
Not a new client and this Is his 3rd diesel plus numerous boxcars. I generally don’t send daily pictures except on the first few cars or the first Locomotive as I get a feel for what the modeler wants. He asked for pictures, I send them. He loved them but decided he really didn’t want a rust bucket…
Came to an agreement and here we are.
some touch up is needed and need replace the couplers to Kadee long shank on the front and 148’s on the rear.
I am happy with it. It’s a used machine he got online and had it sent direct to me. I generally do not test run locomotives but he asked me when it first came in. I replaced the speakers to Scale Sound System and changed the decoder from whatever Athearn had in this thing to a Tsunami2 on a Buddy board, new LED lights all around including step and walkway lights. The noyt CV I adjusted was to turn down the sound. He can play with the rest. Much more than I normally do. Finally, today I took the railings off the sprue and installed them. Now the touch up after dinner tonight. The front plow needs a glob of paint sanded down and re-done, the back end coupler panels needs to be fixed and weathered. There are a few very minor spots that peeled when I removed the masking tape. I prefer using Acrylic paint for weathering. Most of the streaking was done on this unit with oils. This reinforces my belief that the blue painter tape from HD does not belong on scale models no matter what YouTube content providers show or practice. I have plenty of Tamiya tapes in 3 widths which IMO is the best out there. Hopefully it will ship Friday or Saturday!
This is the second UP9807 I have done since I returned from the travels. The other one was a piece of cake, some more of this commission
Started the process, inspection, cleaning, masking and fading. Fading will be started tonight on 3 of these 5
the fade on this guy will need to be a lot, it’s quite blue
Going for this
one of 2 Gevos, yes the railings were a mess out of the box on this BNSF 3726, carefully worked on them to release as they were also tied up in some grab iron. They are fine now and should straighten themselves out
Gevo #2
The masking is complete and all 3 will get fading tonight after the grandkids go to sleep around 9
This is how I weathered mine. The boxcar logo is the newer of the two. They all weather differently of course. Just a couple of pics to give you some ideas.
This is how I weathered mine. The boxcar logo is the newer of the two. They all weather differently of course. Just a couple of pics to give you some ideas.
View attachment 172136View attachment 172137
looks super
How’d you fade it Tom? Looking as to what method and paints please…
Do you have a roof shot? Looks like you left the PTC array very clean.
Any special tricks?
I’m thinking since I have different railroads I might do an oil dot fade on one of the 2-NS or this CSX
I enjoy the fade process and like to try different ways after of course practicing 1st on my own stuff
looks super
How’d you fade it Tom? Looking as to what method and paints please…
Do you have a roof shot? Looks like you left the PTC array very clean.
Any special tricks?
I’m thinking since I have different railroads I might do an oil dot fade on one of the 2-NS or this CSX
I enjoy the fade process and like to try different ways after of course practicing 1st on my own stuff
Thanks, Tom.
Dull coat the whole unit.
The fade I used grimy black on the trucks and tank, front and back (airbrush) then Vallejo earth lighty airbrushed on the body and trucks and tank. Then back to the grimy black to and a very light over the body and trucks. Also adding a little extra around exhaust, vents and trucks for that dirty/greasy look. Last step is to dull coat again.
When I first got these engines they were fairly new on the rails. CSX uses them a lot so the weather and grime has built up on them today.
I will get some pics of the tops for you.
Thank y
Thanks, Tom.
Dull coat the whole unit.
The fade I used grimy black on the trucks and tank, front and back (airbrush) then Vallejo earth lighty airbrushed on the body and trucks and tank. Then back to the grimy black to and a very light over the body and trucks. Also adding a little extra around exhaust, vents and trucks for that dirty/greasy look. Last step is to dull coat again.
When I first got these engines they were fairly new on the rails. CSX uses them a lot so the weather and grime has built up on them today.
I will get some pics of the tops for
Thank you Tom for sharing. I have done the matte finish (dull coat) for the 3 units. My morning 2 hour weather session today will be the fading process as the grandkids here yesterday afternoon and the over night sleep stay has left me exhausted. I only ventured into the train room last night for a diet caffeine free Pepsi! This afternoon’s session will be masking the 2 NS units
Tom, here's the top pic of the engine. At the time CSX were just coming out with these rebuilds so the top is lightly weathered. I don't know if they are done doing the SD40-3's but they are doing a lot of AC4400.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)