Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I added a final clear coat the other day to CN9433 and didn’t really look at it until Sunday. I was trying for this
View attachment 163609
Had this
View attachment 163610View attachment 163611But got this
View attachment 163612I am not real happy and not really sure what I should attempt. These are my 2 Gp40-2L’s as a comparison
View attachment 163613View attachment 163614View attachment 163615Turns out when I went to use the clear coat I grabbed the clearly marked CLEAR with x-21 added. I know because the clear with X-21 is still sitting at the paint booth and the clear is in the rack at the paint bench
X-21 is the Tamiya base coat that gives a chalky look. I need to take a picture of the MP15Ac so you can really laugh.

Suggestions and yes I am open to stripping it off and starting the weathering over
I am sorry it did not turn out like you expected

BUT I really would not strip it.
As a stand alone it is a lovely piece of work, had it been a stand alone I would have suggested.
A check the light, and which room, as in the past I have painted something under say a fluorescent then looked at it under an LED and fainted, but once under the right light conditions it looked okay again.
Bulbs with strong warm or cooling effects can mislead you, photographing on a nice sunny day or a dull day can lead to serious differences.
B You I assume have the chalky effect,and you know the cause,and you have had that side by side with the rest of the intended rolling stock, so your like oh Fxxx it,
C It’s a nice job can you
1, sell the nicely weathered but not matching at a profit with the weathering as its selling feature
3 buy a nother and start again perhaps making a profit although losing time

r IF you really insist on removing the finish, gulps, pls pls test piece a little first, because that is a shame, a small test area then retrying may benefit, although I agree adding chalky finish is way easier than removing chalky finish.
5 IF you insist on stripping it,can we please have a couple of nice pictures of it on the layout by itself to capture the work as I personally like it. hence my love, love of the finish whilst sad it does not suit you.

Please label your pots more carefully, ie add CHALK or such to the lid for next time, because as a total tit who has made the same mistake on a totally different type of job, I hope you won’t get caught out again.

Loving the thread, and your work by the way.
I especially like people who are willing to hold up their hand when something goes wrong.I have in the past made mistakes and incorporated them, but they were single pieces,making it easier to change tack.

What ever direction you choose, 🤞 good luck.
 


Not the same, only wagons but we purposely make those different when in rakes
 

Attachments

  • 48E8D77D-625A-4116-B22C-41C78EAC350E.jpeg
    48E8D77D-625A-4116-B22C-41C78EAC350E.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 68737A6C-5CDA-456D-A169-E712FA5F6FBE.jpeg
    68737A6C-5CDA-456D-A169-E712FA5F6FBE.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 4F88910E-DDBE-452D-A8B3-06F8ECACA3CA.jpeg
    4F88910E-DDBE-452D-A8B3-06F8ECACA3CA.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 794EB3B2-BEB7-4C52-AB14-D70377AA2B4B.jpeg
    794EB3B2-BEB7-4C52-AB14-D70377AA2B4B.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 190
  • F8C6F604-B318-4B9E-8EA8-D1CC0653ABD4.jpeg
    F8C6F604-B318-4B9E-8EA8-D1CC0653ABD4.jpeg
    566.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 29F9EEA5-6566-49E0-B00A-79E0A08A21CB.jpeg
    29F9EEA5-6566-49E0-B00A-79E0A08A21CB.jpeg
    754.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 84594DA7-BF50-4AC5-B8FF-C7C589B6ACE8.jpeg
    84594DA7-BF50-4AC5-B8FF-C7C589B6ACE8.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 67ACC4B6-26E7-4D50-A12D-A80C410371A4.jpeg
    67ACC4B6-26E7-4D50-A12D-A80C410371A4.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 205
Excellent work on the faded paint, the rust, the dirt oh not listing everything it is a beautiful piece.

I have one criticism the 3 output fans (forgot the proper name lol) would be a lot dirtier for this amount of fading to have taken place.
 
Last edited:
Other than that one point, totally love it.
OK comparing my reference and yours I think you need to lose the white at the front this once seems way dirtier and rustier, and my original point with that amount of fade they has to be aging, but now I am shutting up lol, and if it was my piece of work I would be amazingly chuffed with myself the work on the white handrails really shows off how much effort you put in getting the dirt and rust. I love the overall dull finish, just black the fans and lose the white if you agree, if your reference proves it can be your way you can slap me,if you can find me …grins
 
Last edited:


I am sorry it did not turn out like you expected

BUT I really would not strip it.
As a stand alone it is a lovely piece of work, had it been a stand alone I would have suggested.
A check the light, and which room, as in the past I have painted something under say a fluorescent then looked at it under an LED and fainted, but once under the right light conditions it looked okay again.
Bulbs with strong warm or cooling effects can mislead you, photographing on a nice sunny day or a dull day can lead to serious differences.
B You I assume have the chalky effect,and you know the cause,and you have had that side by side with the rest of the intended rolling stock, so your like oh Fxxx it,
C It’s a nice job can you
1, sell the nicely weathered but not matching at a profit with the weathering as its selling feature
3 buy a nother and start again perhaps making a profit although losing time

r IF you really insist on removing the finish, gulps, pls pls test piece a little first, because that is a shame, a small test area then retrying may benefit, although I agree adding chalky finish is way easier than removing chalky finish.
5 IF you insist on stripping it,can we please have a couple of nice pictures of it on the layout by itself to capture the work as I personally like it. hence my love, love of the finish whilst sad it does not suit you.

Please label your pots more carefully, ie add CHALK or such to the lid for next time, because as a total tit who has made the same mistake on a totally different type of job, I hope you won’t get caught out again.

Loving the thread, and your work by the way.
I especially like people who are willing to hold up their hand when something goes wrong.I have in the past made mistakes and incorporated them, but they were single pieces,making it easier to change tack.

What ever direction you choose, 🤞 good luck.
Jaz

I was testing clear flat varnishes and I saw the label saying it contained the Tamiya X-21base. Having learned the hard way ALL my mixes are labeled and the varnishes are noted with orange tape versus the blue for paints. The brain just didn’t register it till it was too late. It is one of the reasons I try not to weather after dinner.

I agree with you the nose is too white and the roof fans need a better noticeable application of soot. When I return home I will re-visit that to see what to do. While it doesn’t match my original Gp40-2l I do think it’s fine and since it is mine, I can still change it around. Nothing as we know weathers the same even on the same locomotive.

When I started the thread for FREIGHT CARS I asked for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM and that goal for the thread through 50+ pages has been and continues to be achieved. I believe CambriaArea51 (Tom) is getting that here in this thread. Thanks for helping along. I post maybe 10-20% of the cars I weather as most of my clients don’t want others seeing pictures until they take and post them. I’m ok with that, not happy but ok. But I do show the errors because I want folks to know, we all make mistakes. Heck, sometimes I don’t know how to correct it and the suggestions I get are very helpful.

Every light in my train room, work benches and paint booth
3D6B9176-5967-4A53-A52A-D7644C8835DC.png
are the same. I have 2’ and 4’ long units.

thanks for the suggestions
 
Last edited:
Other than that one point, totally love it.
OK comparing my reference and yours I think you need to lose the white at the front this once seems way dirtier and rustier, and my original point with that amount of fade they has to be aging, but now I am shutting up lol, and if it was my piece of work I would be amazingly chuffed with myself the work on the white handrails really shows off how much effort you put in getting the dirt and rust. I love the overall dull finish, just black the fans and lose the white if you agree, if your reference proves it can be your way you can slap me,if you can find me …grins
Agree and will correct when I return home
 
I have to say that the piece is so good, if I was you I would find a small part of your layout that is high spec and take a photo at eye height and try to get a picture that will fool people that it is the real thing because it deserves a show off picture :D
I did post pictures a few pages back of the diesel I was using as a reference and James also posted a bunch.

page 1
I did not take it on board I’ll look, thanks :)
 
Ok, I am in.

I just pulled this off the rack to the prep bench
View attachment 162632
I put a liquid mask on the lights, number boards and window glass. That should be dry enough in 90 minutes. Then it will get a spray of VMS clear matt finish. It then will sit for at least 24 hours to thoroughly dry.

The plan is to panel line everything with Tamiya black. Clean it up and clear coat.

Then a good strong fade on the stripe area.

This is the only picture I could find in a brief search online of CN9433. Photograpgher is credited on the picture from Railpictures.net.
View attachment 162633
I may heavily fade the nose like my other CN Gp40-2l.
View attachment 162634View attachment 162635
Ok the 2nd photo fooled me I initially thought it the real thing, only once I started checking out the leads at the front did I realise :)
 
I have a locomotive sitting at the bench for some weathering tomorrow, 3/27.
B89A1144-5B4F-481D-ACCD-CEB565034883.jpeg
63AC5D75-0EBF-40A9-927B-ECA4AC3FE627.jpeg
Ignore the Centerbeam car or go to the freight car thread…

The locomotive is clear coated. After vacuum duty tomorrow I will be adding a black panel liner using the Tamiya panel liner. Wait an hour at most and then clean up the panel lines.

The cleaning up on YT videos looks so easy. But IMO it’s not as easy as those folks make it look. When clean up is done I will lightly spray another clear coat

This will be a lightly weathered locomotive and the first of 5 diesel locomotives I have to do. Only this1 for this client. He asked me I I test ran it. Told him no and I won’t be running it. By not running it I don’t have to worry about, how it runs or the possibility of smoking a decoder.

This is a Scaletrains Rivet Counter and it is very heavy. Much heavier then my former Genesis SD70ACe units when I was running 6 axle units.
 
I started on 3685 which is. Scaletrains GE ET44c4 Tier 4 Gevo. The details on this machine are just awesome and the whole thing is beautifully done.

Panel lines is where I started today. The clear coat had already been done. Progressed to the trucks. One side only was done the conductor side. I have included both sides so you can actually tell there progress
38B3A111-E400-4C05-8998-464E11E9FD65.jpeg

Zoom in to see the grill work. Trying to figure if I should add another coat as some of the grill has some orange showing. The truck sides have been darken and the back is a bit darker then the front trucks per a picture of 3685 I am using
94FB2C72-981B-4FA1-B2EC-9C1CE0B0FA06.jpeg
Nothing done yet On the engineer side. I am giving my eyes an hour or so rest
 
I started on 3685 which is. Scaletrains GE ET44c4 Tier 4 Gevo. The details on this machine are just awesome and the whole thing is beautifully done.

Panel lines is where I started today. The clear coat had already been done. Progressed to the trucks. One side only was done the conductor side. I have included both sides so you can actually tell there progressView attachment 165559
Zoom in to see the grill work. Trying to figure if I should add another coat as some of the grill has some orange showing. The truck sides have been darken and the back is a bit darker then the front trucks per a picture of 3685 I am using
View attachment 165560Nothing done yet On the engineer side. I am giving my eyes an hour or so rest
Although you'd get a lot of exhaust soot adhering to the grill, weather would also play a part in washing some parts of the grill which would allow the underlying colour to come through, so perhaps a lighter grime around those areas would be appropriate.
 


Although you'd get a lot of exhaust soot adhering to the grill, weather would also play a part in washing some parts of the grill which would allow the underlying colour to come through, so perhaps a lighter grime around those areas would be appropriate.
If you look at post #18 those GE units move a lot of air through those screens, so much so the exhaust gets drawn in. I've seen pics of the top of the radiator where it is white due to the heat burning the paint off.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top