Weathering a metal corrugated iron roof?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


wombat457

I'm the one
Hi guys,

My Lakeview Depot is all but completed, other than the roof. Some time back I bought some of Rusty Stumps Corrugated Iron Roofing (actual metal) and, while it looks very nice and new and shiny, it needs to look as though it has been around awhile. Not necessarily rusty, just weather beaten.

I went out an bought some rustoleum primer and a bunch of chalk, various colors, but where and how do I start the process of turning this nice new roof into a not so new roof?
 
If you are a cutting edge type, I'd suggest dipping the pieces in PC board etchant. It's an acid that will eat the roofing material. it will actually dissolve it if you leave it in too long so I used to dip individual pieces in for varying times to get anywhere from a dulling effect on the material to severe corrosion. If you don't like playing with nasty chemicals, airbrush some weathering colors on the sheets randomly, then cut them into the properly sized panels, mix the pieces together in a box randomly and then pull them out & attach them to your roof. Once on the roof you can dry brush, and use chalks to get the desired effect. I had some photos of a roof I'd done somewhere around here but not on this hard drive it seems...:confused: I'll see if I can find them elsewhere & post them later!
 


Thanks guys, never thought of using chemicals and aren't scared of by them either. I'm not sure of the availability of the chemical you refer to; but will get some and give it a try.

Mark,

Thanks for the link. There is, or seems to be, a lot of info regarding weathering wood, stryrene, card etc, but not too much on actual metal (aluminium sheeting) at least not that I found.
 
I found out you can soak metal parts in a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and bleach. Soak it for 24 hours then let it air dry and it looks weathered as it dries. I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to give it a try on some scrap very soon.
 
Water, Vinegar and Bleach? Would never have thought that but, like you , will give it a try and see what happens. If you end up finishing yours first Daveinthehat, post a couple of pictures please.
 
I've used etchant with great success. I've also used paint with Bragdon weathering powders.I think rusted roofs are a personal preference as well there really tough to take a photo of what they actually look like. DSCN0598.jpgkitforum rusty roof 1.JPGS0803243.jpg
 
I was wondering why soaking aluminum pieces in a heavy solution of salt water would give the pieces the dull look your looking for. I know the salt air in Florida does a number on my aluminum window frames.
 
Tony,
I've used the same metal corrugated sheets on some of my buildings, and I've always brush painted mine. I find if you add some dirt to the paint, you can get a textured rust look. Here's a pic of my O scale Gunsmith Shop.

D.A.
Gunsmith Shop.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top