Weathered cars are still selling for rediculous prices.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


If the buyer wants to pay that then let 'em. Their money, their choice on how to spend it.

Never could understand why folks get so bent out of shape on what people pay for things on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter).

Kudos to the seller for being able to find a market. I wish I could find a niche like that. He seems to have found something that works and a viable clientele to support him.

-G-
 
It only bothers me when it pushes prices up in a market that I'm interested in. In this case, I'm not paying a premium for weathered rolling stock if Picasso did it. So go crazy guys! Oh, you already have!
 
If something is one of a kind and rare that would suit my era and location I probably would pay that amount. That would be for me about 11 hours pay, which is worth if for me.
I was fortunate to have an arrangement with a friend who would build me Westerfield kits, paint them, and detail them. Also boxcars from scratch that didn't exist as a kit or RTR.
We recorded the number of hours on how long it took to make something and went from there plus price for parts.
It took him an average of 40 hours to build a boxcar from scratch. In return, I would build him a structure that took about the same number of hours. Any difference was credited to the person owed and used for another structure or rolling stock.
Here is a sample of a structure that I built for my friend (his is the primed one unweathered) and boxcars he did for me.
 


The weathering is a nice job and I would like to see my models sell for that kind of money. I guess they don't because I don't sell them on eBay but if someone is going to pay for it more power to the artist that did the work.

Dave
 
i don't think "ridiculous" is proper word here. even if perhaps to high. but it is open market, highest bidder wins. no one prevents anyone from selling weathered cars either. if you skilled enough to make one to pull that much, go at it.
 
Sure is alot of money, for me, but not for others. This artist has chosen this medium, and that arena in which to sell it. Buyers are out there, obviously.
Me, I would rather buy some better tools, maybe a cheap airbrush, or a locomotive. But, who the heck am I to tell someone how to spend their money? I would place my Model dollars somewhere else.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top