Weakly Foto Phun 2/3 - 2/10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Nice weathering job on that U-boat Plowguy. Very well done.

I've been laying track in the extension room.

P1010032.JPG

I love your backdrop! Didnt you say before that you actually take those pictures and have them printed? That is what we want to do because IMO yours look alot better than ones I have seen that you can buy
 
I'm always a little lost when it comes to scenery but did a little this weekend. After a some help in Photoshop, it looks like a good start. Here a couple BN rebuild GP39Es lead a SD40-2 on a westbound stack train.

2-SS850628.jpg
 
I love your backdrop! Didnt you say before that you actually take those pictures and have them printed? That is what we want to do because IMO yours look alot better than ones I have seen that you can buy

Yes all my backdrops including the one's on my main room layout I created myself.

For this one you see in the new extension room. This time I used a better quality paper. It's vinyl with an adhesive backing.

I took the panorama photos with my $200 digital camera and a cheap tripod.

I had a person help me using photoshop to stitch the photos together. I took 5 seperate photos, rotating the camera left to right. Overlapping them by 20%.

Then took the big panorama file to a print shop. This backdrop is 22" x 120"
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I'm struggling to tell where the layout ends and the backdrop begins. How much does the printing process cost you, including the materials?
 
Yes all my backdrops including the one's on my main room layout I created myself.

For this one you see in the new extension room. This time I used a better quality paper. It's vinyl with an adhesive backing.

I took the panorama photos with my $200 digital camera and a cheap tripod.

I had a person help me using photoshop to stitch the photos together. I took 5 seperate photos, rotating the camera left to right. Overlapping them by 20%.

Then took the big panorama file to a print shop. This backdrop is 22" x 120"

Alright thanks for the info. We will definitely try that when we go to do our backdrop
 
Here's one I shot a couple of days ago, I just had to have that BNSF unit with the yellow font.

6804355643_13a67c2cd2_z.jpg


Love to see everyone's work, it is always an inspiration.

Jim
 
And the hits just keep on coming!
Superb work you guys!

Here's a progress shot of the bridge, still more girders and such to add then time for paint. I'm going to model the control shack as run down and seldom used.
As for the motor, that is a seperate item. It's the gears and shims that go into the base that are missing from the kit, without them the pivot sits loose.:(

Oh, and I discovered something... don't spread that green model putty with your fingers! I figure they'll be clean again by summer.:rolleyes:
 
And the hits just keep on coming!
Superb work you guys!

Here's a progress shot of the bridge, still more girders and such to add then time for paint. I'm going to model the control shack as run down and seldom used.
As for the motor, that is a seperate item. It's the gears and shims that go into the base that are missing from the kit, without them the pivot sits loose.:(

Oh, and I discovered something... don't spread that green model putty with your fingers! I figure they'll be clean again by summer.:rolleyes:

I love the smell of the green putty :p
 
Okay last two pics I promise! (don't want you guys getting tired of the project!;))

Well the green putty idea seems to work! I'm going for the "aged concrete that's been hit by crap a few times and is rotting and falling apart" look.
A little weathering and some pigeons doing their thing and I just might pull that off!
 


I love the art deco look of old streamlined trains such as UP's M-10000, IC's Green Diamond, and CB&Q's Zephyr. My buddy is a big pennsy modeler and he showed me a streamlined prr doodlebug #4663. I saw it and had to have it so here it is

NJ Custom Brass #4663

100_1903.jpg


100_1900.jpg


100_1902.jpg
 
I'm struggling to tell where the layout ends and the backdrop begins. How much does the printing process cost you, including the materials?

Thanks.

This one print job 22" x 120" with the high quality vinyl paper with adhesive cost me about $130. Of course you can get them printed on cheap matte finish photo paper for a lot less. I have that in my main layout room. It would be about half the cost with the cheaper paper.
 
Okay last two pics I promise! (don't want you guys getting tired of the project!;))

Well the green putty idea seems to work! I'm going for the "aged concrete that's been hit by crap a few times and is rotting and falling apart" look.
A little weathering and some pigeons doing their thing and I just might pull that off!

wow that is a great idea. I thought you were just trying to smooth out the plastic mold. Nice work!
 
Oh, and I discovered something... don't spread that green model putty with your fingers! I figure they'll be clean again by summer.:rolleyes:

If your skin can tolorate it, laquer thinner will take it right off! However ,if you have any cuts on your hands, better let the putty wear off. I don't want to hear ya screaming from here!!:eek:
 
WOH NO!!
Last time I cleaned my hands with laquer thinner I had to go pee.
You most likely heard that one from Maryland Karl!
(thanx all the same!);)

Thanx Steve, so far it's turning out better than I had hoped...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Acetone works better & faster than Laquer thinner & it stings a lot longer in open cuts than Thinner.;)
 


cameracarbefore.jpg

Mini HD Sports Camera

+

gooddaytender.jpg

N scale tender from a Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern

=

cameracarproto1.jpg


N scale camera car! Only a prototype so far, still need to finalise the placement and glue it all together.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top