ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have a Cornerstone 130' turntable. The indexing system is fine when the motor runs but the drive motor works only intermittently. The brass wipers in the base cover seem to have no spring to them to keep them in contact with the contact PCB on the bottom of the turntable shaft. This has been a problem since day one. Has anybody else had this issue and found a good fix? I am considering NYRS PTCIII conversion. Has anybody had experience with this?
I have the turntable also, i have not run it yet as i just installed it, i see what your saying about the contact "fingers" not having a lot of pressure, maybe a small piece of sponge foam under the fingers will act as a spring and put a bit of upward pressure on them making a better contact?
im going to try it on mine later and see what happens.
Clint
Good luck. That turntable has caused more gray hair and cursing than any other model railroad product. Guys have fooled with them for days and have never got them to run right. I hope you can make it work.
To GG51 - Thanks for the response. I have already tried several different densities of foam as well as several different types of spring arrangements under a plastic fret pushing upward on the contacts. Nothing works consistently. I was hoping for one last ditch miracle cure before resorting to the New York Railway Supply PTC III which is expensive and requires some surgery to the turntable shaft. Considering what this TT costs there is no excuse for the lousy performance.
I have the 90' indexed turntable, and it has worked very well and reliably. I do vacuum the pit thoroughly before I use it if it has been more than a few days...learned my lesson (had problems with indexing, took the end housing off with the drive and found dog hairs and crud built up in it. Never again!)
What I have done is to take a pencil eraser, a clean one burnished on your pants, and gently rub all the contacts. Also, you can hook them with a dentist's pick (every modeller should own one or two), and lift them to tension them upward. Electrical contact cleaner might be something to try.
I take it that electrical supply to the motor is good and constant, the right voltage, etc. The tape as been cleared off the little optical eye on the sidewall?
If cleaning doesn't do it, and you know electrical is okay, it may need a replacement.
I had 1 for almost 2 years that was a 100% headache. One day, got tired of messing w/it & kitbashed it into an Atlas 9" TT. Now, it works perfect w/the Atlas motor.
I feel we may be talking about two different models. There is the motorizable kit, from which I have my own battle scars. Then there is the 'indexed' version that is already assembled and is programmable, already motorized, and you have to supply an AC/DC 12-19 volt power supply with a limit of 0.5 amps.
If the asker has the latter, and has a DC power supply, I read on another forum (I think it was another forum) that the guys urged buddy to ditch the DC power supply and try an AC one. It seemed to correct his problems right away.
pcorlow & cg51:
Would appreciate updates on your experience with this turntable since your last postings in Jan 2010. Our model railroad club is considering replacing an older 90' mechanical indexing turntable to accommodate our large steam engine roster.
I have a suggestion: go to modelrailroader magazine's Gen. Disc. forum and do a search for gear-jammer. The husband and wife team who use that name jointly purchased one at least three years ago, maybe more, and they love it. Sue is the woman who does most of the posting. I could be wrong, but a user by the name of 'canazar' may also have used one at one time until his personal circumstances changed drastically and he had to dismantle the layout.
Of course, I hope you get some responses here as well.
I solved my particular problem by gutting the electronics from the TT, drilling a small hole through the bottom of the shaft cover plate (the one with the brass contact strips) and hard wired DC power to the motor. I left a loop of wire dangling loose below the TT. Since I pretty much alternate the direction that I turn the table the wiring does not tangle up as it would if I turned it only one direction. I used an old Troller hand held transistorized throttle to control the speed and direction. My TT is positioned near the edge of thee layout so I can visually lineup the table track with the radial tracks and the controller gives me really fine speed control. I still use the track power contacts since they didn't give me any problem. Something similar might work with the 90 foot TT also. I had one of those too but gave up on it since it was too short for my articulated locos.
A couple of guys at another forum (where I visit frequently...) have good things to say about the 130' model. It's the 90' model, which I have, that is a real PITA....
I have seen a mixed bag of reviews on this TT --- I guess I got a lemon because it sure never worked consistently. I am happy with it now with the hard wired set-up that I now have although it was an expensive lesson to learn.