Wall/ceiling tracks

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Jim,

It is a Micronart brass etch fence. I believe there is 200' HO scale and 6' in height. I'm not using that much and trying to string a Walthers would probably be disasterous.

Larry
 
Last edited by a moderator:
On the former D&J Railroad, I used veil materiel spray painted aluminum for a chain link fence around a loading facility. The fence post uprights were just plastic spray paint aluminum as well. I attached the veil to the uprights with quick setting glue. Lots of fence for a very minimal cost.
 
I'm using the wedding veil material now also and it does a passable job but certainly doesn't look as nice as that Micronart fence. I think my main problem is I need to redo the fence with top and bottom rails and some of those 45 degree stiffeners. The material itself looks OK, it's just my construction techniques that don't look very realistic.
 


Jim,

I had shoulder surgery in November and one arm is really shakes alot, so I had to us something less labor intensive and didn't require a lot of skill.

Larry
 
Well I wouldn't put HO scale up that high but I do have a 3 rail loop that I ran overhead through my bar and gameroom. Its about 60-70 feet with a passing/storage siding on 2 walls. I used MDF and cut out the 6" wide shelves (12" for the 2 walls with the siding and mainline) and used some nice shelf brackets to mount them. The track runs right above my bar so I made so custom ceiling mounts out of MDF as well. It came out better than I thought. I use TMCC and DCS from MTH, I can run 2 trains up there at once and also operate the 2 switches by remote. I will upload some pix shortly if I can find them.
 
The 12" corner to accomadate the mainline and siding track.
100_1484.jpg


100_1497.jpg


Runs accross the top of the bar, through the wall and into the hallway.
100_2150.jpg


100_2162.jpg


As is comes out into the hallway and back down the long wall towards the TV, it goes from 6" to 12" as there is a turnout at the beginning of the long straight wall.
100_2149.jpg


100_2161.jpg


100_2163.jpg


Through the wall from the gameroom into the bar:
100_2152.jpg


100_2153.jpg


100_2158.jpg


Once in the bar room, it curves from the wall to a drop down section above the bar top:
100_2154.jpg


100_2155.jpg


100_2165.jpg


100_2159.jpg


A few of the more "finsihed" shots:
100_2317.jpg


100_2318.jpg


100_3490.jpg


100_3508.jpg


After it was all cut and test fit, the exposed edges were rounded over with a router, painted, installed, all the joints were spackled, sanded smooth and touched up for paint. It now has rope lights all the way around it on top and "xmas" style clear lights hang around the bottom for a little extra "mood" lighting in the rooms. It came pretty good and get a lot of attention when we entertain. "Does the train really run?"

Oh.........and yes I have had a few cars hit the floor ONCE.....luckily no engines..... thats just not an option lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well they can't reach it w/o a step stool, and they have no idea how to turn the power on. Not to mention the remotes are always hidden, especially when the niece and nephews are over.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top