vehicles

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


nucleargary

New Member
I am looking to add some vehicles to my layout. Anyone know of a good brand that is realistic and has good details? I like die cast but plastic cars would be ok.
 
Have a look at the thread in the HO section, for plenty of ideas for vehicles. I,m assuming that you model HO.
Ron
 
There's some pretty nice vehicles out there in all scales. We've come a long way from the old Life Like sets!
A quick look for "truck, car, trailer, etc. in Ebay will give you an idea of what's out there.
Like Ron said, check out some threads here. Type vehicle or some other related word into the search and see what pops up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The best ones out there are:

Classic Metal Works, HO & N

Athearn also HO & N

Busch (HO)

Model Power and Fresh Cherries (HO) are good too, and if you don't mind building kits, Sylvan Scale Models (HO) can't be beat. You didn't mention an era but these lines can populate a layout from the 1940's through the 1970's depending on who you pick, with Busch and Model Power even doing current day stuff.

All of these companies have websites or you can find online retailers who sell their stuff. A quick Google search will get you there. Have fun, but be warned: scale vehicles are addictive and can become a hobby all by themselves! :D
 
Sorry I didn't state in my original post, but yes I am looking for HO scale. Thanks for the info, guys. I just love making my layout look realistic but hate some of the expensive vehicles in my LHS that have low quality parts and look cheap.
 
Walmart had a whole lot of HO scale vehicles a few years ago, but they no longer carry those lines. If you look on E-bay for Malibu and Fresh Cherries cars, they go for moderate prices. Just make sure they are HO scale, because many of the same vehicles were made in multiple scales. The chief clue is HO scale vehicles come in plastic boxes and not the hanging packages.

Some Examples of Fresh Cherries;
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRESH-CHERRIES-...41606?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item45fac33946

http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-Fresh-Cherri...56286?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3a669e577e

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fresh-Cherries-...83166?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item588df6ca5e


Some examples of Malibu;
http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-1-87-Malibu-...90446?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item2eb5a821ee

http://cgi.ebay.com/MALIBU-INTERNAT...05102?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item35a92780ee

http://cgi.ebay.com/1953-Cadillac-E...55422?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3a669e541e


Model Power now sells many of the same cars as the Malibu line, and Walthers sells the Fresh Cherries line.
 
Before Walmart started handling the 1/87th cars I bought a lot of vehicles at Train Shows. They were the older sedans & sports cars. Really cheap plastic. One time there was a Tractor dealer going out of business close to my town & I bought everything they had left after the initial sale. No one bought any of the small vehicles. They were a brand called Exxact(Can't remember for sure). There were singles, 2 in a pak & 3 & 4 in a pak. I still have some of them. They aren't exactly HO scale. tiddy small, but I use them for background cars or loads on autoracks or wrecker pulls. Most of you-all know how many vehicles I run on the layout(about 150 to 200), but, I wouldn't give them up. Like we all say the vehicle collections never end.
 
I am looking to add some vehicles to my layout. Anyone know of a good brand that is realistic and has good details? I like die cast but plastic cars would be ok.


Here's a sample of a Atlas Masterpiece, a Model Power, a (newer) Classic Metal Works, and an Athearn.
 
My favourite HO scale vehicles are made by Atlas Masterpiece and Ricko.

Here is a sample of a Ricko product.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top