Vehicles Question: Bulk Semitrailers

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hi all,

My layout will have a cement distribution center as one of the trackside industries, and I want to include a few dry-bulk tractor-trailers in the scene. Trouble is, none of the affordable 1:87 vehicle manufacturers (Con-Cor, Herpa, Trident, etc.) make models of North American-type dry-bulk trailers. In that case, I'll have to scratch-build a few.

I've seen two main types of Heil bulk trailers, with the profiles shown in the drawing below: Cylindrical (type A) and round hopper (type B). My question is, are both types of trailer vessels used to haul dry concrete? Or is it only type 'B'? I want to make sure I don't have the wrong type parked at my cement distributor.

TrailerProfiles.gif


T-I-A
 
I know for sure "B" is dry bulk.
To make it a little more american take out the center hopper.
I had a Herpa trailer that was very close once.
 
Rico, was your Herpa trailer based on an American or European prototype?

I see profile 'B' trailers all over the place here on the East Coast, they are all triple hoppers I'd have to leave the center one in.
 


Thanks, but I already have a strategy for scratchbuilding the type B hopper trailer if I absolutely must. It would just be very tedious is all.

I'm still hoping somebody can tell me whether or not the type 'A' cylindrical trailers ever haul concrete...[?] That would be soooo much easier!
 
We have a ton of new construction going on in my area, local plants busy as hell plus batch plants all around sites too. Every dry hauler I've seen is type B, just passed 3 in a row this morning on the way to work lol
 
I did find this info online for Ho scale stuff.

Type A

André Giroux has announced a new resin kit for a pneumatic bulk trailer shown above in kit and assembled form. The kit is designed to fit on Athearn 40 container chassis and consists of:

4 resin parts : tank, discharges, front and rear fenders
6 pipes/tubing
1 ladder
2 mud flaps

Not included: Athearn 40’container chassis. Easy to build, no modification required on the Athearn chassis. For more information contact André Giroux [email protected].

giroux_pneumatic_kit.jpg


giroux_pneumatic_built.jpg


vnl_660_pneumatic_lf_lg.jpg



Type B

DecalPrint will be introducing this new resin and styrene kit for a pneumatic bulk trailer. This kit has some ver interesting innovations. The main tank body was protyped with CAD (computer aided design). The tank body will be chrome plated exactly as shown above. The piping and fenders are 3D printed parts. The ladders are thermoformed Evergeen styrene profiles. All other parts are CNC milled. We're told North American modelers will be able to purchase this kit from Truck Stop Models with an estimated May 2011 arrival.

decalprint_bulk_kit.jpg


decalprint_bulk_lf.jpg


decalprint_bulk_lr_top.jpg
 
I did find this info online for Ho scale stuff.

. . .
Type B

DecalPrint will be introducing this new resin and styrene kit for a pneumatic bulk trailer. This kit has some ver interesting innovations. The main tank body was protyped with CAD (computer aided design). The tank body will be chrome plated exactly as shown above. The piping and fenders are 3D printed parts. The ladders are thermoformed Evergeen styrene profiles. All other parts are CNC milled. We're told North American modelers will be able to purchase this kit from Truck Stop Models with an estimated May 2011 arrival.

http://www.1-87vehicles.org/images/New Products/decalprint_bulk_kit.jpg

http://www.1-87vehicles.org/images/New Products/decalprint_bulk_lf.jpg

http://www.1-87vehicles.org/images/New Products/decalprint_bulk_lr_top.jpg

Mark - thanks for the images. That would be fantastic news if I could confirm it. The notice was posted over a year ago, which would supposedly mean that the DecalPrint bulk trailer kit has been available since May of last year. But I went to the Truck Stop Models online catalog and they don't make any mention of it whatsoever. :confused: The DecalPrint website is written in German and I was unable to navigate it.

That "chrome" plated tank looks strangely similar to a brass model by Classic Mint Collectibles that sells at $400.

I would buy a few of those [type B] kits in a heartbeat if I could actually find them at <=$25/ea. Scratchbuilding them will be extremely difficult, that's why I was hoping that the type A cylindrical trailers were also used to haul concrete.

**UPDATE** I emailed TruckStop Models, and they said they sold their last one earlier today and they're not sure when they'll get the next batch. But that wouldn't have done me any good anyhow -- they cost $80 apiece, still too rich for my blood!:(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I can tell you for sure that the pictures are exactly the type of trailers I see here in TX all the time. The type B that is.
 
Yeah I'm afraid your right David. Looks like I'll have to try to scratchbuild the dang thing after all. Or maybe find a different industry to model.
 


Well from a post above try this place and see how much the kit is.
Truck Stop Models with an estimated May 2011 arrival. Might be a whole lot less work lol
 
There are some guys doing some amazing work on 3D printed models on
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/180-3d-printing-cad-group/
Take a look at the locos done by Burkitt, who accepts commisions - may be worth getting in touch - it may be possible to do what you want as a hollow 2-parter. I have no connection apart from being an admirer of his work

SL - you're right that guy is seriously talented!:cool: But I think somebody has already done the Heil trailer [type B] for the German firm DecalPrint so I don't know if there might be legal issues...? Also I doubt I could afford his minimum charge. Don't know what it is, but I'm sure it's >=$100.
 


Well I went down to a friends trucking company and sonuvagun, he has some three hopper trailers! Funny, I don't recall seeing them before!
He says I can take pics if you need any.
Another cool thing to model is the offload where he gets the cement from, it's a converted silica sand plant just north of town that used to unload barges off the lake.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top