I found a video on youtube from a Brit that makes model buildings using photographs of real structures. He starts with a photograph and then makes a plan by counting the number of structural elements used in the building- he counts bricks in a façade and assumes that they are standard-sized bricks to determine the size of the prototype. He then uses Adobe Illustrator to create a scale picture of the building’s facades and then prints the pictures onto cardstock. He then glues the pieces of cardstock together to make the model. He uses acetate sheets for windows and he cuts pieces of cardstock to add details like window frames and moldings around doors.
I just checked the price of Adobe Illustrator on Amazon.com- $200. This is way too much to spend to make pictures for a model train layout. And I don’t have the patience to learn how to use the software.
So, does anyone know of anything online or available on CD ready made? I need pictures that I can print with something like MS Paint or IrfanView onto cardstock.
Also, is there such a thing as ready-made blueprints that you can use to make scratch models that match your layout’s scale? I thought about using old architectural pattern books (Andrew Jackson Downing for example), but they are not really detailed enough.
I just checked the price of Adobe Illustrator on Amazon.com- $200. This is way too much to spend to make pictures for a model train layout. And I don’t have the patience to learn how to use the software.
So, does anyone know of anything online or available on CD ready made? I need pictures that I can print with something like MS Paint or IrfanView onto cardstock.
Also, is there such a thing as ready-made blueprints that you can use to make scratch models that match your layout’s scale? I thought about using old architectural pattern books (Andrew Jackson Downing for example), but they are not really detailed enough.
