ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Wow I never thought of using Google Earth to view the railroads from above until tonight! That's just awesome, I wanted to know how the Denver north rail yard was setup like, because that's my prototype for my new layout.
I also followed the tracks north to where my house is and found another small yard in Broomfield, I guess they hold trains there when the Denver yard is too congested.
Here's some shots I took of the rail yards and also Denver Union Stion which I am modeling for my passenger train.
look for the UP yard in North platt NB...HUGE!!!!! then google for the info on it. I was amaze when I went there to look at it. You cant see the ends of the yard standing from the middle LOL!!!
look for the UP yard in North platt NB...HUGE!!!!! then google for the info on it. I was amaze when I went there to look at it. You cant see the ends of the yard standing from the middle LOL!!!
Google Earth is a great tool for railfans and model railroaders. There's nothing like a bird's eye view of any place you choose. Its fun to trace rail lines out and view the yards.
One thing that has always amazed me about Google Earth is that it is unrestricted while those of us that railfan or do photography work are sometimes hassled for engaging in perfectly legal activities (from public property) in the name of security. I've even mentioned Google Earth to a few rent a cops in the field that apparently suspect everyone with a camera of being a potential terrorist. The world's losers that are out plotting evil would be better off spending time with Google Earth than with a camera being seen onsite...
Those are some huge yards!!!
Model layouts of any of these would be sweet. Wish I had the time, money, space and more importantly, the talent to do something like this in HO!
Big yards!! Definitely a great way to plan a yard layout. I like to use those sites to see how places I am visiting are layed out for possible railfanning ops as well.
Big yards!! Definitely a great way to plan a yard layout. I like to use those sites to see how places I am visiting are layed out for possible railfanning ops as well.
hump yard is just that it has a large hill at one end cars are pushed up over it uncoupled and let free roll down the other side of the hill onto another track. the black sections are retarders big air powered brakes used to slow the car down on its way down the hill
hump yard is just that it has a large hill at one end cars are pushed up over it uncoupled and let free roll down the other side of the hill onto another track. the black sections are retarders big air powered brakes used to slow the car down on its way down the hill
Hump yards aren't rare, but they aren't common either. UP's Englewood yard in Houston is one of the bigger ones still in use. It used to be Southern Pacific's before the merger. If you look at Google (or Bing) maps at Englewood Yd, you can move a mile or so north and see yet another large yard that was Missouri Pacific's. UP has them both now and keeps both fully in use. It is a very busy area as BNSF, UP and KCS all come to call.
All the satellite photos are really nice, especially when you can get down to to street level viees. Eric, I would be amazed if these aren't being used for recon by our enemies. I've been waiting for the government to start making some areas unviewable but I guess that cat is out of the bag now so it's too late. The really depressing thing is realizing how much you have to compress even a small yard to make it fit on a regular layout.
Cool, isn't it? Funny - several years ago, I asked BNSF if I could get some track charts and they said, "no, no, that's company confidential and a security issue". Wonder how they feel about it now... LOL!
BTW, check out Clearing Yard in Chicago - enormous!
Ya the technology is incredible. I wonder why they say there is a "security issue" viewing train tracks? They gonna start blowing trains up now, airliners are not enough.