ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I decided its time to update my winter scene. And the snow is 3 years since I laid it down, and its getting dirty.
So I vacuumed up the layer of dirty snow. I added some rock outcroppings.
And I created a frozen pond. I just poured the water for it tonight. Its Magic Water tinted with white paint.
Before:
Pond almost looks like it's steaming. Nice. I think on my layout I would have to replace snow once a year. I tried a few trees a while ago. It did not turn out as well
Thanks Gary. The trees I got were already flocked with snow, I think they look better than trying to flock them youself.
I added some rocks along the bottom, and weeds around the pond. And created some ice running in between the crevices, using clear caulk. Its still drying, it will dry clear and look like ice.
Almost ready for the new layer of snow.
OK I laid down the new snow. All finished up with my winter scene update project.
Looking good. Nice work !
Looks cold! You're reminding me of what lays ahead for us Northerners!
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate that.
I showed it to my grandson and he was in awe also!
Looks nice, do you plan to extend the snow out more? I think you can get some really nice winter photos if you extend out the snow area a little.
I've thought about winter scenes before and still need to come up with a way to model the road slush to get the scenes to look real. I feel that's one area lacking in urban winter scenes.
Thanks for posting
Dave
Looks great, what are you using for snow?
Does look great unfortunately though the railroad I modeled rarely gets any snow.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Just curious... Shouldn't this be in the Scenery forum?
Looking great so far!
Looks great, what are you using for snow?
First I sprayed the area with Santa Snow product from Hobby Lobby. Then I sprinkled on Woodland Scenics snow.
Damn, that scene looks great! Nice work
Dang it, Motley! I just started to warm up from that last cold snap along the front range! Now you have to post something like this. Besides which, are you sure that's on your layout, and you just didn't go into the mountains and take some pictures? Great-looking snow scene! I have one on one corner of my layout, but only enough to have a place for a 1950's ski "resort". Anyhow, great work!
Thank you all, I really appreciate the feedback. Can't have a Colorado based layout with no snow wouldn't be right.
When I rebuild the main room layout, it will be all mountains, and I will have a bigger winter scene. Right now its just a small section.
Destination for The Ski Train?
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)